i am new

deafJar

Reaction score
hi i am new, i was diagnosed with deafness in early childhood and i wear a hearing aid for my left ear. i got my first hearing aid in 10th grade.

i also have adhd that is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder,mild mental retardation,communication disorder,dyspraxia.

i am 20 years old.
i graduated from high school may 28th,2004.
i am been stuudying and learning asl since 10th grade and i want to learn asl so my communication skills can get better.

Hello DeafJar,

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here ;)

i got my first hearing aid in 10th grade.

i also have adhd that is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder,mild mental retardation,communication disorder,dyspraxia.
You might not have ADHD or MR per se.....you say you got your first hearing aid in 10th grade....that's wicked late..... I know off the top of my head that ADD-like behavoir is wicked common in oral dhh kids.....and until recently,(like back in the '70's) a LOT of hoh kids were misdx as being MR.

this was some stuff i wrote in high school.

I am 18 and In 11th grade

lazy suck (when i was a baby)

colic till age 3

Gross composite score: Age Equivalency = 3.0 yrs. (At age 6)

start to talk at 3 years old and could understand most of what i said at age 5

Have eye-hand coordination

poor coordination

poor motor skills

have trouble processing things

Adhd (mild case)

Stutter alot

communication disorder

motor skills: 7 years 11 months (at age 11yrs. 7 months)

Social and Emotional behavior: between 4 and 5 year level ( At the age of 11 yrs. 7 months)

Adaptive Skills: Mild range - avg. age 6 yr. 7 months (at the age of 11 yrs. 7 months)

Communication skills: 8 yr. 5 mo. level (at the age of 11 yrs. 7 months)

Mild hearing loss

Nearsightedness

Mildly mentally handicap

Anxiety attacks

panic attacks

difficulty with receptive and expressive language skills

MVPT: 27/36
_____
AE 7 yr. 11mo.

Tvms: AE 5 yr. 11mo.
____

Bruininks
________
upper limb coordination : 5 yr. 8 mo.
visual motor : 6 yr. 11 mo.
upper limb speed/Dexterity: 6 yr. 2 mo.

(Was tested at age 9 1/2 years old)

perceptual motor skills : between 5 and 6 years old (at the age of 8 yrs. 6 mo.)

English/Language arts: 5.5 level (now)

math: 5th grade level (now)

behave more like a 5th or 6th grader

I have a small forehead and small for my age.

I have limitations that are similar to children with mental retardation.

I had high fevers and a lot of Ear infections when i was a baby.
I was tested for my 3 year evaluation on 12-18-00.
verbal IQ: 69
performance IQ: 57
Full Scale IQ: 60

Woodcock Johnson Achievement Test-revised
Grade equivalents - standard scores

Letter-word Identification: 5.4 82
Passage comprehension: 6.9 90
Calculation: 5.9 79
Applied Problems: 6.8 89
Dictation: 4.3 72
writing samples: 3.3 75

Broad reading: 5.7 84
Broad Math: 6.1 84
Broad written Lang. 3.9 73
Broad knowledge skills 5.4 81

Gray Oral Reading Test-3
Grade Equivalents,Standard Scores

Rate: 4.8, 3
Accuracy: 6.5, 6
Passage Score: 5.6, 4
Comprehension Score:2.9, 2

I have severe limitations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know how you feel and my special ed. english teacher in 11th grade talked to me about me using a alphasmart keyboard and i used it for 11th and 12th grade years and it helped and alot of times teachers wrote for me and i felt at times let me write, but it was faster when others wrote for me and i took for ever to get assignment down and i hated writing and still do, i can't get comfortable with holding things in my hands and it hurts too when i write and so i complained alot to teachers about that and stressed out because it irrated me and my grip is a death grip or too tight of a grip and when i write or when i pick things up and holding things my hands shake and i end up dropping things and anything, i have run into doors because i don't notice them and i have a problem with walking too close to walls and end up hitting my arm on the wall, and all kinds of stuff and spill things and everything.

=========================================================================================
at this time, noted low overall function (i.e. decreased balance, decreased trunk-pelvis dissociation, and bilateral ankle pronation). my mom said told that i have always been slow and has weak ankles.

TESTING

Bruininks-oseretsky Test of Motor Proficiency was performed 12/11/92.

The scores were as follows:

GROSS MOTOR SUBTESTS AGE EQUIVALENCY
years-months
Running Speed and Agility (6) 5 - 11
Balance (15) 4 - 11
Bilateral Coordination (0) 4 - 2
Strength (3) 4 - 5
Upper Limb Coordination (8) 5 - 5
Gross Motor Composite 3 - 0

ASSESSMENT AND RECOMMENDATIONS

she scored well below chronological age on all portions of the Gross Motor subtests. Her gross motor composite score of 3.0 is 1.2 years less than the lowest age equivalents corresponding to subtest point scores from the Bruininks-oseretsky. Another assessment scale in addition to or in place of the Bruininks may be helpful for future assessments.

=======================================================================================

i found this out i have mental retardation and was diagnosed in my childhood and it is mild , and school has on iep mild mental handicap.

i was diagnosed with dyspraxia in my childhood but they never had a name for it and i only heard signs and problems that i have and everything but i searched for answers until i found out the truth. i use to think my iq was linked to my physical problems and after i read the book called : my friend has dyspraxia, i learned that it is not linked to iq and iam thankful for that.

i was diagnosed with deafness in my childhood, and i got my first hearing aid in october 2001, in 10th grade and i made the decision i wanted to have a hearing aid and now i can hear and it makes me feel good to be able to hear, i have a mild to moderate hearing loss in my left ear. i have a slight hearing loss in my right ear.
i just have a hearing aid for my left ear and it is blue and see through and ear mold is swirled in blue,green,orange. i love my hearing aid.

i have adhd and it is a mild case and it is the combined type and was diagnosed in february 2001 and had behavior problems my whole life and everything.

i have depression and i was diagnosed in high school.

i have a communication disorder and was diagnosed in my childhood.

i was diagnosed as severely developmentally delayed in my childhood.

i had tubes put in my ears like 3 or 4 sets of tubes and i got my tonsils taken out in 5th grade.

i was born in 1984.

so i do have mental retardation.

i am a very hyper person too and with out my medicine i can't focus or anything.

Back