How to teach young kids new concepts in asl without visual aids?

Coolio

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if you guys can offer any ideas, suggestions, links to websites with more information etc

I am researching information on how you would teach new concepts to children (preschool/young age) using ASL without visual aids. I don't know if it would be the same as teaching a hearing child where you just communicate and they eventually start to pick up the concept.

Or parents, how do you teach your child at home to make sure they are understanding/grasping new concepts?

For example, you can point to a picture of a cow, - ball or a cup and show the sign. But signs for "remember" or "forget" it may be very simple but I haven't work with children so I just would like to know what people find and the most effective approaches.

I am trying to find more information to try to create and organize a curriculum for young child who are native ASL users.

All information and responses are appreciated!!!

It's basically the same as one would teach any language.
Just like any new word or concept you'd use it in various contexts and explain as needed.

ASL is a complete, whole, living language - concepts both concrete and abstract are well handled by fluent users (most especially fluent, native users).

Back