How much does a freelance interpretor earn a year?

Boo hoo? I know plenty of deaf people who work much harder, and many more hours for less money...+

I make in the same tax bracket as she does and that is one brutal bracket! After all the taxes taken out, I don't bring home half as much as my gross salary just like the terp. People think I am rich and well off ..I could be if it wasn't for all these taxes. Lol

As a former freelance interpreter, I could totally relate to that whole scenario (except I never made close to that amount; the rate is less in some states). Of course, she has the specialized legal certificate, which puts her in place for those special assignments. (And she had to pay additional fees for that certification process, too.)

I don't think she was complaining but explaining because some people might have a wrong impression of what interpreters earn.

yea that's what I tell people when they say they make good money and I said no you don't. for ie... working for uber... they bring in maybe $4,000 a month. you take away expenses like annual fee for TLC license ($2,500), gas, insurance, etc... and then tax... all that for long hours.... and no benefits at all. no paid vacation day. nada. your money stops coming in once you stop working.

if you say you make good money - then it means you have everything... benefits + house + paid vacation/sick days + a good reasonable amount of time at home (free time)

if you're working good money but long hours.... that's not really a good life to me. how is money good to you if majority of your time and life is spent at work? maybe you really do enjoy working and job is great. that's cool but not cool if you have a family at home.

Back