HI, from Texas

Pennysmom

Reaction score
Hi, my name is PJ. I am an ASL student from Texas. I am looking to chat meet a deaf person that can help me with a paper I need to write for class. It is for my Deaf Culture class. Can anyone help me? I have the following questions:

1. When did you become deaf?

2. How did your parents react to your deafness?

3. Is there a history of deafness in the family?

4. What type of schools did you attend growing up?

5. When did you learn ASL?

6. Do you belong to a deaf organization or club?

7. What is your opinion of cochlear implants?

I hope someone responds. Thanks! :

Or for privacy you can e mail me at pennygirlracing@yahoo.com

I was born deaf.

Like most parents, they were shocked and worried about my future. But I'm glad that they realized the importance of giving me an education. They learned sign language and communicate with me. They love me dearly and always had been by my side and will be.

Not really. There's a possibility that on my mother's side that there was some form of waardenburg's syndrome which I have.

From kindergarten to grade 6, I attended a public school with a deaf program. Total communication, with SEE, ASL involved. Then I entered a provincial school for the deaf, it was a residential school but I was a day student.

Then I recently graduated from a college in May/June. It wasn't a college for the deaf.

I've seen ASL my whole life, but I was taken into learning the ASL when I entered the fourth grade.

Not really, but I am active in some deaf forums if that count.

I believe that it is up to the parents on if they want to implant the child or not. But deaf adults also are entitled to their own decisions on getting implanted or not.

Last edited:
Welcome to AllDeaf! To answer your questions...
Pennysmom said:
I became deaf around the age of one.
Pennysmom said:
My real mom seemed to be like... "oops!" That's partially why I ended up in foster care. My foster parents were like, "Wow, what a gift that God has given us! :crazy:
Pennysmom said:
Nope. I became deaf due to a common childhood sickness that was not cared for properly.
Pennysmom said:
The first school I went to was a deaf oral institute. The rest of my schools were mainstream schools.
Pennysmom said:
I didn't really learn ASL until I graduated high school. While growing up, I used SEE. After graduating high school and going to college, I began using ASL interpreters. That's when I started learning some ASL.
Pennysmom said:
I was involved with a deaf student government organization, NTID Student Congress. I am currently involved with a deaf mentoring group called the Student Life Team. I have been involved with a deaf fraternity, Sigma Nu, for five years.
Pennysmom said:
I'm not really crazy for them. I usually see no point in getting them. If there's a really good reason for getting them, then that's fine with me. However, I don't like the idea of getting CIs just so that they can hear better like the hearies... because they usually end up leaving their deaf friends out and start trying to be "hearies".

I was hearning at first but I became hard of hearing when I was born after 2 months (3 months premature).

My parents were scared

Nope, I'm the only hard of hearing person in the family

Mainstream school all my life

I don't learn ASL, I learned SEE and still do but I know some ASL but gotta learn more though but I'm very good at signing.

Nope.

My opinion of cochler implants that it's the person's decision, if the person thinks that it will make their hearing better, I say go for it!

Last edited:
1. When did you become deaf? unknow i have 3 stories how i m become deaf but i would say that i born from birth.

2. How did your parents react to your deafness? My bio-mother freak out and leave my dad with me.

3. Is there a history of deafness in the family? My uncle has some loss of earing but it's not count because of me.

4. What type of schools did you attend growing up? Elem school with deaf program, age 12 Deaf school till i graduted.

5. When did you learn ASL? I learn ASL when i move to Minnesota when i was 15

6. Do you belong to a deaf organization or club? mm no

7. What is your opinion of cochlear implants? I already have one, and it's not sussceful *sp?* because it's old verison, I had a channel 1 but right now they have channel 24!

I was born deaf

Like most of parents would react, they worried and were scared, but they accepted it and learned sign for me.

No, I'm the only one (not counting those losing their hearing with age)

Mainstreamed with deaf program til 10th grade and my last two years of high school, I was mainstreamed with an interpreter

I learned total communication and see, but learned ASL at lion camp when I was in 7th grade, but didn't really use it.

no

It is their choice, but for me... it isn't for me

Thank you

Thank you very much for those that replied. But, what is SEE? I haven't heard of that.

Pennysmom said:
Thank you very much for those that replied. But, what is SEE? I haven't heard of that.

Signed Exact English.

Oh, that must be what my teacher is called signed english, which she uses in class rather than ASL. I wouldn't have known but another student said that was what she was using when she should be using ASL since that is what we are there to learn.
Thanks again for your response. I hope to talk to you again soon. It is 12:30 here, I am going to bed soon. I also have a paper to write on a famous deaf person that I need to work on this week. Any ideas. I am thinking of doing it on the American Gladiator that is deaf and she has gone on to become a body builder.

Hello and welcome to AD!...

at the age of 5

I guess I would say they were shocked and worried about what they're going to do since they have no clue how to raise a deaf child I suppose...

No

I attended a public school with a deaf program called ' Total communication '...

When I was in middle school I suppose....

No, not yet...

I believe that it is up to each person who wants to hear more but I don't believe a child who has no role or decision on having a cochlear implants in their youngest age....It's not up to the parents themselves alone but it should take two to make that choice not one and beside the child is going to wear them not the parents themselves.....<<<<That's what I strongly believe!!!

At birth

Shocked and guilty - wondering why God would punish them for having 2 deaf babies

None before my brother and I

Strictly oral - only deaf student in entire class all these years

About 23 to 24 years old

Formerly but too busy these days to be active in any organizations

I have one so its obvious that I embrace CIs...it is not a cure, but one of many tools I need to survive in this ever-increasingly competitive world

Back