Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please

Hi there,

I'm also a parent of a deaf child, but my child goes to a school for the deaf and we've been very happy, actually it's the first time he's gotten a decent education. But I want to encourage you to join this listserv for parents of deaf and hoh children. It's run thru the American Society for Deaf Children.

Go to www.deafchildren.org

and follow the links for the LISTSERV, not the group. The LISTSERV has been around a long time and there are very educated people on there. You'll get a lot of help.

Good luck!

i understand what you're going thru

hey i want to help you as ive seen and went thru what you're going through with ur son. I strongly recommend you to contact John Tracy Clinic. That's what my mom did when she found out i had lost my hearing at 14 months old. i have lived in california for 12 years in Oxnard. After she did, she did what john tracy clinic tld my mom i came out just fine. i graduated highschool on time just like everyone else and am in college in a bachelor program. And another big advice stand up what YOU want for your son do NOT let the teachers or principal or the people at IEP meeting tell you what they think it's best for your son. My mom hated everything the people teachers, prinicipal, and people at IEP meetings wha they tell her what they think its best for me to go through. At one time they told my mom they think i need to repeat 3rd grade, my mom say ohh noo she dont need to she'll be fine. i dont see any problems with her. My mom was VERY stubborn and the people were afraid of her what they think what i need to do and all. I thank my mom for that i really do or else i won't be on the same level as the hearing students at school. My mom doesnt think im different from anyone else just b/c i can't hear. All you need to do is to show a deaf child more than you need to do with a hearing child. They learn by visually while hearing learns by listening it's more easier that way yea. But by visually u need to show the child more and dont be afraid you're going overboard...it'll be well worth it. Also try to have him to read more that'll help him to improve his grammar. i also suggest you to do research more on how to help your son to catch up with his age group so he can lead normal life without any frustrations and problems. It'll be a huge plus by doing that is to help you to learn more about the laws and rules of IEP of what you can do with your child other than not quite sure of what you can do and all. Im not sure about homeschooling, as the deaf child needs social life and of how to survive in a hearing world by interacting with hearing students. It'll be better off to send him to a public school where it have a deaf program. That's what my mom put me through she refused to put me to deaf school where i used to beg her. Then later i realized she did the right thing as education is more important than anything else. HOpe this helps =) If you have any questions in mind please contact me im willing to help you out of how to help your son. :thumb:

I strongly recommend you to contact John Tracy Clinic. That's what my mom did when she found out i had lost my hearing at 14 months old
Boogiesurf, John Tracy is only for little kids.Also, JTC wouldn't be helpful anyway since they are pure oral, and Missy's son only Signs. (doesn't even wear hearing aids!)

deafdyke...

yes i know but JTC do have good resources of how to teach ur deaf child. when i was little i cldn't talk nor hear...JTC tld my mom what to do and wha they recommend her to help me, they also help my mom to get started then have her go her own to help me out. That's all they are aware of it very well. =)

Back