Help, Please??

NMlobo

Reaction score
Hi my name is Amber. I am a student at the University of New Mexico. I am writing a term paper in a class called Lexical Semantics. My main focus is to get deaf peoples opinions on the topic about Signing to Music. I have a few specific questions. I will put them at the bottom and if you wouldn't mind helping me out I would GREATLY appreciate it!
If you are willing to answer the questions. Please let me know which questions you're answering, if not all of them, your name and where you're from.
Thank you soo much!

1. How do you feel about hearing people/interpreters signing to music?

2. Are you offended by it? Why or why not?

3. Why do you feel that Deaf people took/take such a stand against signing to music?

4. In your opinion, if you see someone signing to music would you prefer an ASL interpretation or Signed English?

5. Do you feel churches should have signed songs, there may or may not be a Deaf person attending the church, as a performance?

Hi my name is Amber. I am a student at the University of New Mexico. I am writing a term paper in a class called Lexical Semantics. My main focus is to get deaf peoples opinions on the topic about Signing to Music. I have a few specific questions. I will put them at the bottom and if you wouldn't mind helping me out I would GREATLY appreciate it!
If you are willing to answer the questions. Please let me know which questions you're answering, if not all of them, your name and where you're from.
Thank you soo much!

1. How do you feel about hearing people/interpreters signing to music?

2. Are you offended by it? Why or why not?

3. Why do you feel that Deaf people took/take such a stand against signing to music?

4. In your opinion, if you see someone signing to music would you prefer an ASL interpretation or Signed English?

5. Do you feel churches should have signed songs, there may or may not be a Deaf person attending the church, as a performance?

Interesting questions. As someone who used to sign to music, I'll probubly give an interesting perspective, but it's not All deaf people's opinion.. I'm currently in NC, formerly from Maine.

1. Personally, I have no problem with it. I would like to know the songs that are being sung, so I think it's a good thing if interpreters are willing to sign the songs.

2. I'm not offended by it, because I think if there is a way an interpreter can help the deaf person by telling them the words of the song, or at least try their best, at least the deaf is being informed of which song.

3. I personally have never seen deaf people take a stand against music, but I've seen a LOT of deaf people say when I suggest they feel the beat on a song or I try to explain the song, "Why should I be interested in that? I can't hear it." And personally, I think that Deaf people can enjoy music, even if they can't hear it. Personally, I love music, and Even though I can't hear it, I have other ways of enjoying the music.. Like feeling the beat or bass of the music, and reading the lyrics.

4. ASL interpretations tend to be better than English Interpretations. Because ASL can express the songs somewhat better than English, IMO.

5. As a non-religious person, I think it's up to individiual churches. Whatever they want as a congregation.

I'm with you BearBeauty. My son participated in a signing choir at the Deaf school he attended. I personally thought their performances were beautiful. They were appreciated by Deaf audiences and hearing audiences alike.

Back