Hello!

angelstar819

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm Jennifer and am a profoundly deaf individual from the Los Angeles area. I currently have a cochlear implant and was raised to speak and listen. I am gradually learning sign language since I am very interested in it and hopefully my ASL skills will improve over the years. I am now a freshman at UCLA and am loving it here so far. It's nice to meet all of you guys! I'm looking forward to visiting this forum as much as I can. :wiggle:

:wave: :welcome: Hello Angelstar819, and welcome to AllDeaf. I hope you will enjoy yourself on this forum. Have lots of fun posting.
Good luck at UCLA. :thumb:

Hello Jennifer,

Welcome to ALLDeaf and enjoy your stay here ;)

Welcome Jennifer!!!!
Please don't feel awkward about posting.....I know that there's a sense that kids with oral skills aren't welcome in the Deaf community....BUT, there are a lot of us here who grew up Oral-Audist,(eg oralism is the BEST thing in the world and ASL and Deaf cultre don't have any benifits for dhh kids) and didn't learn ASL til late! There are some Deaf Extremists/Deafer then Thou types.....but I think you'll find that most people here know what you're going through......and as an aside, I think most of the Deafer then Thou types, have been burnt by the Oral-Audists types......the ones that are so SUPEIOR about being able to hear and speak, and who think that they are better educated then Deaf folks......arughhhhh!!!!!! Just go in with an open mind...explain your circumstances. I'm sure almost everyone understands that YOU yourself didn't chose to not sign. I hate that about some of the extremists....they act like it's OUR fault that our parents didn't expose us to Sign!

im undeclared for now..i might go into education to become a teacher or something..but as if now, im still undecided though

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us. :thumb:

Back