Hello, from Ohio

smspell

Reaction score
Hi,my name is Steven. I will be 47 later this month. I was 25 when I became hoh. I just started to look into learning ASL.

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf smspell! Ohio? Whereabouts? As for myself, I live in the Cleveland area. I'm sure you'll find it really interesting learning ASL and wishes you much success. Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

I live in Newark/Heath Ohio. It is about 40 miles east of Columbus.
I have been looking for a place to learn ASL. Here the Joint Vocational School has ASl classes for time to time.

Hello,

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here ;) ....

:wave: :welcome: to AllDeaf smsspell!!! I hope you're enjoying your stay on this forum, and making many new friends!! Have fun posting,and welcome aboard!! :dance2:

Thank you for the warm welcome.
My first post I was not sure what to say.
I joined the Army in 1980, after basic training. I got maried to my high scool sweetheart. In 1981 I was in an explosion [in the army], that was the start of my hearing lost. Our son was born in Sept.81

By 1984 we was having trouble. I was gone alot of the time, my hearing was getting worse. We was now to the point that she would say something and I would ask hr to repeat what she said and she would say "Nevermind".
Late 1984 the doctors said I had Otosclerosis in both ears. Two Months later she filed for a Divorce. We are still friends today.

In 1986 I got out of the Army after six years in. I started to apply for V. A. [Veterans Admin.] that took almost 7 years to get my first hearing aides.

Over the 7 years of being turned down, my parents and I started fighting. They was saying that if I had hearing lose then the V.A. would not be turning me down. Now we are closer then ever.

My hearing today is 93db loss in left ear, and 105 db in right ear.
Now I am down to only hearing aid in left ear.

Thinking about all this, I learned that I am happier, and better off then I thought. I to get out and do things camping,hiking biking. The 26th of next month I am taking mom on a Caribbean cruise.

I am hoping to start ASL classes after I get back.

Back