Hearing person looking to learn more about deaf culture.

reddfish88

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Megan. I'm a hearing person who's learning sign language to be better able to communicate with my deaf friends and others in the deaf community of my area. I want to learn more about deaf culture, including what's socially acceptable and unacceptable. I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and my goal is to become fluent enough in sign to help deaf people learn more about the Bible. At the moment, my biggest problem is understanding what's being said when people sign to me. I'm hoping that more socialization with deaf people will help me with that. At least, that's what I'm working on. Any constructive criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bad.gif
eeeek....

Uh hi hope you enjoy you stay....

reddfish88 said:
At the moment, my biggest problem is understanding what's being said when people sign to me. I'm hoping that more socialization with deaf people will help me with that. At least, that's what I'm working on. Any constructive criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Megan

I'm another hearie on this board. Socializing with Deaf will definitely help improve your skills. You should also look into Sign classes in your area or check with public library to see if they have any ASL videos. The 'Bravo Family' is a good set for beginners. There is also some software out there with ASL. I don't know what kind of computer you have, but I found a two disc set (CD) at WM. ASL dictionaries can be hard to follow. Some of the drawings and explanations leave a lot to be desired. Good luck.

Giday, welcome aboard, there are few hearies here too, your not alone. :)

reddfish88 said:
I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and my goal is to become fluent enough in sign to help deaf people learn more about the Bible.

Sorry to say, you are NOT welcome at my door if that your "goal". I am agnostic and don't get me started. It's annoying of what your church does--knocking on doors at the wrong time of the day. I used to work with a JW, and I was stright with him up front that I don't him charming me into his religion. We are still friends to this date.

BTW, Welcome to AD.

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us :thumb:

Hello Megan and welcome to AllDeaf...feel free to let me know if there's anything I can do to make you feel more comfortable around these boards. ;) Otherwise, post with us and enjoy your stay here. ;)

Hi Megan and welcome to AD! Just keep practicing signing and you’ll get better at it. It takes time and some patience to learn but it’s a great language. It’s good to just keep practicing and to get used to different people’s signing style. Good luck with your ASL!

:wave: :welcome: Hello reddfish88!!!! Welcome to AD, and enjoy your stay here. Look forward to your postings.

If you're interested in learning religious signs? The best textbook is "Religious Signs" by Elaine Costello. It was very helpful for me.

Going to deaf clubs, or deaf social events which will help in receiving deaf signs. It's easier to learn to sign, than it is to receive it. So just keep practicing, hang out with the deaf whenever you can, the deaf are always welcoming when hearing people want to communicate with them.

I have grown up with the deaf all my life, they are my second family. Good luck, and all the best!!! :hug:

Back