Hearing or deaf?

Cloggy

Reaction score
Starting a new thread in order to see how people are thinking when defining someone is "deaf" or "hearing".

"Hard of hearing" will be in the transition zone from one to the other, but I wonder about the two extremes

Please provide the following:
  • I am hearing / deaf / hoh
  • For me, someone is deaf when .........................................
  • For me, someone is hearing when .....................................

• I am hearing
  • For me, someone is deaf when communication is depending on visual clues, like lipreading, sign, notes.
  • For me, someone is hearing when communication is not depending on visual clues.

Being deaf, depending on the skill varies widely from individual to individual, some deaf people can communicate by using their voice, written English, spoken English, lip reading, oral method, sign language, read facial and body expressions, hearing sounds such as loud noises, pad and pen communication.

Being hearing, depending on the skill varies widely from individual to individual, Some cannot hear while others can hear better, picking up sounds more than deaf people can depending on how much a deaf person can hear.

Differences between deaf and hearing are that deaf people cannot do as much as hearing people when it comes to hearing, picking up sounds and speak well, while there are other hearing people who cannot speak as well as deaf people. I guess it depending on each individual. ;)

It is a hard question to answer.

Technically, I am Hard of Hearing because of my CI but I view myself as a deaf person because that is WHO I am. I do not use capital D because I am not a full member of Deaf Culture & Community. I do not use ASL fluently but rather PSE. I know that many Deaf militants claim that PSE is not a language per say Sweetmind but that is my OWN language, whether they like it or not.

I cannot answer the question about deaf part - it is different for each person. I will not make such judgements on that.

For me, a hearing person is who has higher db than person who is HOH period.

Remember - there are many hearing people who could be " deaf " in many ways - refusing to listen, or shunning out information to their own preferences.

• I am hoh
  • For me, someone is deaf when he/she cannot hear and understand speech without a HA ,CI or other aids .. Most of the deaf can hear loud sounds except speech.
  • For me, someone is hearing when he/she naturally hears and understands speech

Hi Cheri... Thanks for your thoughts, even though you didn't answer my questions.
Cheri said:
Being deaf, depending on the skill varies widely from individual to individual, some deaf people can communicate by using their voice, written English, spoken English, lip reading, oral method, sign language, read facial and body expressions, hearing sounds such as loud noises, pad and pen communication.
You are right. But let me just comment on the following:
using their voice, spoken English, oral method .. is 1-way, the reply still has to be taken in visually
written English... visual
lip reading ... visual
sign language ... visual
read facial and body expressions... visual
hearing sounds such as loud noises .... is not communication
pad and pen communication... visual

Cheri said:
Being hearing, depending on the skill varies widely from individual to individual, Some cannot hear while others can hear better, picking up sounds more than deaf people can depending on how much a deaf person can hear.
So depending on the skills in combination with the situation. one would qualify as hearing" or "deaf".

Cheri said:
Differences between deaf and hearing are that deaf people cannot do as much as hearing people when it comes to hearing, picking up sounds and speak well, while there are other hearing people who cannot speak as well as deaf people. I guess it depending on each individual. ;)
Of course it depends on the individual. That's why I say that my daughter can hear. Based on my definition and my feeling. I realise that by your feeling, she's deaf.

* I'm hard of hearing
* For me, someone is deaf when he/she cannot hear and understand speech without a hearing aids or any other device .. most deaf people can hear loud stuff like slamming doors,stero on full blast.. other etc..nothing camparing to a hearing person

* For me, someone is hearing when he/she understands everything what the person is saying without having to lip read/or wear any kind of device. It's nothing close like being a deaf/hoh..

GOD BLESS EVERYONE!
:fruit:

ecevits said:
* I am hoh
* For me, someone is deaf when he/she cannot hear and understand speech without a HA ,CI or other aids .. Most of the deaf can hear loud sounds except speech.
* For me, someone is hearing when he/she naturally hears and understands speech

Cassbugs said:
* I'm hard of hearing
* For me, someone is deaf when he/she cannot hear and understand speech without a hearing aids or any other device .. most deaf people can hear loud stuff like slamming doors,stero on full blast.. other etc..nothing camparing to a hearing person
* For me, someone is hearing when he/she understands everything what the person is saying without having to lip read/or wear any kind of device. It's nothing close like being a deaf/hoh..

These two say what I would have said...

* I'm hearing
* These two I think are fairly simple for me to combine and define simultaneously. For me, a person is deaf (I'm including in this people who consider themselves Deaf, deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, etc) when they have a degree of hearing loss, regardless of the amount. A person is hearing when they don't have a hearing loss.

I know some people consider themselves to be one or more of the above listed titles. For example: I have one student who is "deaf" without hearing aids, but "hard of hearing" with them. Despite this, she still considers herself "deaf," because she is dependent upon a technological aid to be consider otherwise. However, there are people with implants who consider themselves "hearing," because they can hear, process and understand speech with the assistance of a CI. Personally, I wouldn't consider them "hearing." They're all biologically "deaf," though in some cases it can be "corrected" with an aid of some sort.

This makes me thing the man I met last weekend who asked me, "What is 'hearing'? And what is 'deaf'?" was on to something. While I am a hearing person, I don't particularily like being labeled in any aspect of myself.

I am deaf.

For me, someone is deaf is when she or he cannot hear and have to depend on a device such as HA or CI to be able to hear.

For me, someone is hearing is when she or he can hear without depending on any devices.

ButterflyGirl said:
I am deaf.

For me, someone is deaf is when she or he cannot hear and have to depend on a device such as HA or CI to be able to hear.

For me, someone is hearing is when she or he can hear without depending on any devices.

I would have to agree with butterfly girl here. Regardless of a CI - and no matter how well it makes a person hear it still doesnt make them hearing. I still view all HA and CI users as Deaf and if you don't have to depend on technology then you are hearing. (Unless you have selective deafness) :scatter: :whistle:

• I'm deaf

And my answers for the rest of the questions is the same as Gemtun which I agree with everything she said below...

Gemtun said:
I cannot answer the question about deaf part - it is different for each person. I will not make such judgements on that.

For me, a hearing person is who has higher db than person who is HOH period.

Remember - there are many hearing people who could be " deaf " in many ways - refusing to listen, or shunning out information to their own preferences.

Back