Graduate looking for work in IT related field

dude

Reaction score
Graduate looking for work in IT or any work

I am a graduate from a reputable university in uk. Most companies are looking for a person with an excellent communication - ie telephone, consultancy and extensive knowledge in IT. I am hunting for work in Network engineer, Web designer, database administration or other IT related in Operation that involves with hands on. Most of the companies liked my cv then i told them about my hearing impaired, can lip-reading reasonably, sign fluently, email, mobile text message, typetalk etc but companies human resource department said the job is filled because of my hearing disability. It is against the law. I even told disability discrimination right for an advice but they don’t help. I am thinking of different career direction like accounting, or something to get a good salary. Please advice. Thank you for help.

dude said:
I am a graduate from a reputable university in uk. Most companies are looking for a person with an excellent communication - ie telephone, consultancy and extensive knowledge in IT. I am hunting for work in Network engineer, Web designer, database administration or other IT related in Operation that involves with hands on. Most of the companies liked my cv then i told them about my hearing impaired, can lip-reading reasonably, sign fluently, email, mobile text message, typetalk etc but companies human resource department said the job is filled because of my hearing disability. It is against the law. I even told disability discrimination right for an advice but they don’t help. I am thinking of different career direction like accounting, or something to get a good salary. Please advice. Thank you for help.

Hi, I was in England for three months and know BSL pretty good. Welcome to AD. Are you looking for a job in the United States? Do you realize how hard to apply for the VISA? It is not impossible, but after Sept 11 everything has gotten really tough with those people who come into the USA.

dude said:

I'm in a similar boat. I havn't gotten my bachellor's degree yet and I don't have the money to go back to school any time soon. I have a lot strong computer skills good comunication skills, and I can speak well, I just can't hear well enough to use the phone any more.

They cant put "ability to hear" in the job description, and they can't discriminate against you because you have a disability but good luck prooving they hired some one else because of it.

The only jobs for a person of my education level and experience level require phone use. I just left a job where I had to answer the phone every other week and I hated it. I loved the work but I hated answering that phone.

my advice, is don't tell them you have a hearing imparement untill after you are hired. In the US you're not required to tell them that untill then. Once you're hired, they are required to make "reasonable accomodations" . It becomes messy at this point but at least you've locked the employer into place and they can't fire you without fear of a discrimination lawsuit.

Over time I should be able to work my way up the laddre and get a job that dosn't require me to support users/customters over the phone. The hard part is getting that far. get your foot in the door and prove yourself and more people will look beyond your hering loss/deafness.

I wish it diddn't have to be this way.

Back