good opinions

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT GET IN FLAMES... IT IS ALL ABOUT OPINIONS.
and... no offense to any of you who can hear and talk , etc... you know what i mean.

Here it goes......

When someone recieves hearing aid or cochlear implants and finally can really really hear good for almost everything.

When someone wanna to improve their hearing or listening skills -- What do you think that means to you ? I hope you understand what I am speaking about.

When someone wants to improve their hearing and listening skills sounds like to me that this someone wants to be more part of the hearing world than the deaf world, because this someone has special hearing aids or cochlear implants, Let's be aware that Cochlear Implants are not a cure, it just helping them be better with english, speech and listening sounds, but they will never be equal as a hearing persons. I hope they are aware of that, If a person wants to be better with hearing and listening, that could possible means that they will not wanted to use sign language anymore, That person does not need to fit in more into a hearing world than deaf world, with or without Cochlear Implants or special hearing aids, they are still deaf whether they like it or not. Don't change who you are, be yourself, accept yourself that you're deaf that's the way God create you that's the way it suppose to be. ;)

Personally, I see nothing wrong with a person wanted to be able to hear more, it would be nice if I could, not that I do not like being deaf, but being able to hear alot more from what the sounds of the world is like or being able to hear my children's laughters and their voices, I've never know what it may sounds like, some people tells me you should hear yourself laugh cause it's sounds so cute, but I can't you know....

Alot of people have their reasons, it not like they don't accept themselves as being deaf is more of wanted or wishing to hear more..... :dunno:

For me if a person wants to get hearing aids or a cochlear implant they want to have a toolbox of skills, so that they can maximise their choices and options in life. Sometimes they will largely be in the hearing world through circumstance, but many hearing aid wearers and increasingly cochlear implantees are in the deaf world too. I don't see a hearing aid or CI as a badge of membership of either culture to be honest.

We are all different, with different personalities, interests and desires. We all make different choices that may be right for one person but wrong for another.

Let's celebrate anything that maximises the choice of deaf people to be what they want!

R2D2

R2D2 said:
For me if a person wants to get hearing aids or a cochlear implant they want to have a toolbox of skills, so that they can maximise their choices and options in life. Sometimes they will largely be in the hearing world through circumstance, but many hearing aid wearers and increasingly cochlear implantees are in the deaf world too. I don't see a hearing aid or CI as a badge of membership of either culture to be honest.

We are all different, with different personalities, interests and desires. We all make different choices that may be right for one person but wrong for another.

Let's celebrate anything that maximises the choice of deaf people to be what they want!

R2D2

I concur, with this sort of 'attitude', the display of respect and dignity toward those who benefits from such improvements of modern technological marvel is not only ideal, but courteous as well...celebrating and rejoicing with the personal choices each do make can possibly reduce the so-called rifts within our own culture--to each their own however they can be personally satisfied is really their own choice and personal business....;)

^Angel^ said:
Personally, I see nothing wrong with a person wanted to be able to hear more, it would be nice if I could, not that I do not like being deaf, but being able to hear alot more from what the sounds of the world is like or being able to hear my children's laughters and their voices, I've never know what it may sounds like, some people tells me you should hear yourself laugh cause it's sounds so cute, but I can't you know....

Alot of people have their reasons, it not like they don't accept themselves as being deaf is more of wanted or wishing to hear more..... :dunno:
That's good...:gpost: You're more open minded than your twin sister.. I lost 85 percent of my hearing :tears: .. I have severe to profound loss in my right ear and profound loss in my left ear... I was born hearie.. I remember my 'normal ' hearing level conversations at the age of 11...Then I have progressively lost my hearing.. The problem is that I have to live in hearing world.. The society I live in expects me to behave as a hearie..So I always try to get best possible hearing devices in order to play my role well.. There is nothing to do for me.. In addition, my love is a hearie and this makes my trouble much more complex.. I cannot agree with Cheri.. GOD NEVER FORBIDS US TO HAVE MEDICAL SUPPORT.. I'm a part of hearing society although I'm nearly a deaf person.. I don't dislike being a partial deaf.. but in the end I must live in hearing world. :ugh2:

Old NavyGirl asks: "When someone wanna to improve their hearing or listening skills -- What do you think that means to you ? I hope you understand what I am speaking about."

To reach that goal, to me, means doing a whole lot of work, more than most of us realize, coupled with being most fortunate to have a very knowledgeable, innovative and hard-working audiologist. It also helps if ya have the smarts and the constitution to persevere and attain your goals. Depending on your age and comprehension level, in general, I would say it would take a good 3 to 6 years.

Oh, and Ecevit, shame, shame for putting down another who happens to have an opinion different than yours. It is obvious that this person has had a very different life experience than yours and you should not be surprised at seeing another view. Cherish the differences among all of us! If you can't do that, then try to disagree using tact.

Last edited:
Tousi said:
Oh, and Ecevit, shame, shame for putting down another who happens to have an opinion different than yours. It is obvious that this person has had a very different life experience than yours and you should not be surprised at seeing another view. Cherish the differences among all of us!
I didn't want to disturb Cheri.. I cannot accept your shame... There is no shame on me !!!! I just stated that I cannot agree Cheri's view.. I wasn't surprised at seeing Cheri's view.. In addition,Cheri is one of the bests of this site !!! I like her friendship.. and I respect her view.. and criticizing isn't insulting..Do u understand me ? :) love from Saturn :hug:

And Cheri , I'm sorry if you're offended by my quote.. I just wanted to criticize your view only on this topic not in general.. You're not bad or narrow minded..You're a wonderful friend, I must admit.

Tousi said:
Saturn is a cold, forbidding place. :mrgreen:
yes, very very cold.. and don't forget that cold makes us remember the value of hot :giggle:

ecevit said:
yes, very very cold.. and don't forget that cold makes us remember the value of hot :giggle:

I agree and I have a feeling your'e about to learn about some other kind of "hot".
:whistle:

Tousi said:
I agree and I have a feeling your'e about to learn about some other kind of "hot".
:whistle:

Yes, I'm a hot man !!! :) { told me by my american girl pen pal who lives in New York City}
My feelings are mixture of a bit cold and hot and mostly affectional senses..
Hot makes us warm in cold :)

Oh, I see, I was not talking about that kind of hot.

ecevit said:
That's good...:gpost: You're more open minded than your twin sister.. I lost 85 percent of my hearing :tears: .. I have severe to profound loss in my right ear and profound loss in my left ear... I was born hearie.. I remember my 'normal ' hearing level conversations at the age of 11...Then I have progressively lost my hearing.. The problem is that I have to live in hearing world.. The society I live in expects me to behave as a hearie..So I always try to get best possible hearing devices in order to play my role well.. There is nothing to do for me.. In addition, my love is a hearie and this makes my trouble much more complex.. I cannot agree with Cheri.. GOD NEVER FORBIDS US TO HAVE MEDICAL SUPPORT.. I'm a part of hearing society although I'm nearly a deaf person.. I don't dislike being a partial deaf.. but in the end I must live in hearing world. :ugh2:

Ouch! Must you live in a hearing world because you used to be hearing, but you're not anymore hun. It's all about accepting who you are now not before. I understand you would like to hear again like you used to but it's not there anymore. You lost your hearing for a reason just like I did. I lost my hearing since the age of 5 slowly through the years to high school. I used to hear music, Do I miss it, Sure I do. But, I accept who I am that doesn't mean I am not open mind. Most people who doesn't want to accept theirselves are the ones who are not keeping an open mind about who they are. What's so bad about being deaf? You are still the same person but lost some hearing, don't let that effect your emotional and mental. Love yourself the same way others love you. ;)

Cheri said:
Most people who doesn't want to accept theirselves are the ones who are not keeping an open mind about who they are. What's so bad about being deaf? You are still the same person but lost some hearing, don't let that effect your emotional and mental. Love yourself the same way others love you. ;)
There is nothing bad about being deaf.. On the contrary, being partially deaf has introduced me doors of new worlds.. It's enriched my soul in many ways.. I learned to see 'different colors' of life which I hadn't realized fully before.. I love myself too.. What I meant in my quote is that I'm in a dilemma.. I cannot live in either hearing or deaf worlds.. and I must admit that I have learned that I'm not totally open minded .. you have taught me this.. Thanks :) :Oops:
You learned the hard way and your views are always welcome :ty:

Cheri said:
When someone wants to improve their hearing and listening skills sounds like to me that this someone wants to be more part of the hearing world than the deaf world, because this someone has special hearing aids or cochlear implants, Let's be aware that Cochlear Implants are not a cure, it just helping them be better with english, speech and listening sounds, but they will never be equal as a hearing persons. I hope they are aware of that, If a person wants to be better with hearing and listening, that could possible means that they will not wanted to use sign language anymore, That person does not need to fit in more into a hearing world than deaf world, with or without Cochlear Implants or special hearing aids, they are still deaf whether they like it or not. Don't change who you are, be yourself, accept yourself that you're deaf that's the way God create you that's the way it suppose to be. ;)

I'm in a similar boat as Ecevit except that I never had normal hearing. I always have been HOH with HA and now a CI. I never had any pretentions to believe that I was a normal hearing person. However that being said, I functioned very well in a hearing world and the hearing world has accepted me as one of them. One of my mottos is that "I'm a hearing person who happens to be deaf" :D This is not to slight my obvious deafness or what God has given me. I'm not in denial about it whatsoever but I prefer to function where I'm most comfortable. Besides, we live in a world where people like myself can use the "tools" that are available to allow me to function nearly as a normal hearing person.

R2D2, excellent post!!! It IS VERY possible to be a part of BOTH worlds.
Yes, there are some folks who are all snotty about being a part of the hearing world,(and those are the folks who give oralism and hearing aids/CIs a bad name) but most folks want to be a part of BOTH worlds. Even most of the kids who were raised orally. Most of their parents didn't give them a choice, between Sign and speech.....speech was forced on them.
Had I had a choice, I would have liked to grow up with BOTH sign and speech, so I could be a part of BOTH worlds!

Back