Forrest vs Buydig.com Settlement (Important!)

Nesmuth

Reaction score
The recent Forrest vs Buydig.com settlement through the U.S. Department of Justice states businesses who hang up on relay assisted calls could be liable for damages under Title III of the ADA.

Make sure you use a relay service that utilizes the recording of conversations. Preferably using the Internet Protocols (IP) relay services instead of video relay services (VRS) to document businesses responses to relay calls would produce the strongest evidence.

Use IP relay providers like - My IP Relay, HipRelay, Siprelay, and many others as the VRS programs or systems dont have archiving capabilities at this time.

Print the recorded conversations and include them in your complaint to the U.S. Department of Justice.

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=1153171

Richard

I assume you're aware of various state laws forbidding recordings of telephone calls, right? Not that it stopped countless Deaf people from recording TTY calls, including myself! :)

Thanks for the NAD news. That is encouraging and hopefully other businesses will follow suit. Unfortunately, on the other end, the IP relay abuses are still ongoing, I guess.

Thank you. Since I hope to enter the HR field soon, watching stuff like this is very useful to me.

Could somebody please explain to me why anybody would even refuse a relay call in the first place? Especially a business--turning away customers is beyond idiotic.

Eyeth said:
I assume you're aware of various state laws forbidding recordings of telephone calls, right? ....
I believe it is OK if the person making the recording notifies the other party at the beginning of the call that the conversation is being recorded.

After all, every voicemail and answering machine is actually recording a call. :)

Rose Immortal said:
...Could somebody please explain to me why anybody would even refuse a relay call in the first place? Especially a business--turning away customers is beyond idiotic.
I can't speak for businesses, but I know several hearing people who have hung up on Relay calls to their home phones. They told me that they thought they were solicitation calls. :roll:

Eyeth said:
I assume you're aware of various state laws forbidding recordings of telephone calls, right? Not that it stopped countless Deaf people from recording TTY calls, including myself! :)

The Dept of Justice will accept those types of evidence. Whether the state forbids it or not.

Richard

Richard
I have VCR turn on when I use VPRO.... his way I have chat on tape...
but U have set ur VCR before U make call... my TTd have printer... if my VP not work & landline busy.. Finish I go putters RO...
Richard U have VPQQ Me sister contact ur office for me... Me need chat w/ U..... Pls PM infor w/ ur VP/TTD nub.. Thks....Why sis make call... she go here me home.. Me chat w/her.... She make call get prsn who speak.. She terp me... LOL ur lady office tell sis she know when ppl call terp for someone.. How chat they is... LOL office Lady me sis terp me tell me email U... Off Lady not give me sis ur TTD nub / VP nub. email addy...
Pls PM w/ iform...thks
have gd now

LMM

Back