For my daughter

Rubiegem8280

Reaction score
Autistic girl expresses profound intelligence. [VIDEO]

This made me cry. My daughter has been diagnosed with Autism Disorder and is still learning to speak. Many people comment that she "sounds deaf" though she has no hering probems that we know of. I am hoh and may have meneire's. We are teaching her some ASL as I am learning to augment the PECs system she is learning is school. I found this video tonight and wanted to share it with you all as well, since this topic was near and dear to my life. :ty:

:) Thanks for sharing!.... Hopefully there will be curing for autism.

Last edited:
Hello,
This video achieved to convince me that even when we say that a child is lost because intellectually disabled, he can do things that most won't even imagine.

As soon as I decided I will adopt in the future, I also think about adopting a child with a disability. Even a child we would call "lost". Because there are no lost children, even a labeled one "mentally retarded".
Even if many says that if I'm alone, it'll be difficult. But I don't fear disability, and I have never ever feared challenges.

A bit like Carly but in another style, I was considered by many as a "lost child", too hyperactive, that I shall have been institutionalized and that I'll never ever acquire any skill.
I suffer from Single Sided Deafness and ADHD. But my mother, my friends (even my baby-sitter, who has been a friend for more than 20 years now) and my GP believed in the fact that I was able for something.
Later, my ENT doc was amazed that with a prelingual Single Sided Deafness, I could learn 3 foreign languages.

The only lesson of Carly's story, and many doctors should watch the video instead of assuming they know everything, is that you never can really know how a person is really able to learn, no matter the diagnosis is : even a person labeled as "profound mental retardation" can learn, and surprise everyone.
I can't wait to show it to my GP, even if she is at odds with English ;)

And by the way, I would love to tell her parents that they can get Linux on Carly's computer : she will be able to surf without catching a malware, she'll also have the possibility to get by herself the computer she really wants (windows borders are impossible or nearly impossible to change on a Windows OS)... and all this for 00,00$ for her parents (maybe they'll have to pay 1 or 2$ for the CD, but they can get a CD-Rom and download the system freely) :D
I'm nearly sure that she is really able to understand how a computer work, and, who knows.... ;)

yes, :ty: for sharing, it was powerful. I just hope that this is a true portrayal of the child and that it doesn't get sensationalized, that in the end, Carly's desires and needs are met.
Reminds me though, of similar "locked-in" or "latent" ability like that of Dr. Temple Grandin. I also think about how the desire by so many for the child with autism to use spoken language is similar to deaf children.

yea, that's true, Giulia, how it is that what we perceive to be the case <in this situation, that Carly was unable to understand what was going on in her body or her environment> is often NOT really true - we are the ones who don't understand - not the other way around.

I am sorry it took me a little time to respond, we were away for the weekend at an Autism Family Weekend this weekend. It was our first conference we were able to attend becuase a local group sponsored us to go! It was the first time we have gone out and I could honestly say my daughter was able to be a kid and not the child with special needs. The only comments we got fromt he other families were about how cute she was and not about the funny things she was doing! We learned so much from both the professionals and the families there! I had to hare the video because it helped me so much to better understand my daughter and to help my family understand us both. I found out from my aunt, who is a granmother to two children on the spectrum that the video has been out a long time now and that Carly has been helping people through her blog for a while to understand autism and works with professionals to teach about her world from the inside.

I am sorry it took me a little time to respond, we were away for the weekend at an Autism Family Weekend this weekend. It was our first conference we were able to attend becuase a local group sponsored us to go! It was the first time we have gone out and I could honestly say my daughter was able to be a kid and not the child with special needs. The only comments we got fromt he other families were about how cute she was and not about the funny things she was doing! We learned so much from both the professionals and the families there! I had to hare the video because it helped me so much to better understand my daughter and to help my family understand us both. I found out from my aunt, who is a granmother to two children on the spectrum that the video has been out a long time now and that Carly has been helping people through her blog for a while to understand autism and works with professionals to teach about her world from the inside.

I work with people with severe mental disorders. The vast majority have had some sort of psychotic background and are considered to be extremly limited in their abilities to function. It never ceases to amaze me, when one takes the time to put the diagnosis and the pre-judgement aside, what these people are capable of. Many are extremely intelligent and creative. It is just that the mental disorder is seen first, and many don't bother to look any deeper.

I have had some experience with autism, as well, and I have the same opinion. There are often amazing qualities to someone with an autism spectrum diagnosis. We just need to look a little deeper to see it.

Back