for interpreters: tech stuffs ?

deafclimber

Reaction score
i wonder what tech thingy do u bring to a different place for interpreter job ?
wireless ? PDA ? mobile ? laptop ?

my gf has sidekick II and tungsten T5(pda). she loves T5 the most because it is very reliable for her interpreting business. sometimes she travels with her laptop, toshiba satellite.

When I work at the college, we are not allowed to use cell phones or any electronic devices while in the classrooms. During breaks I go outside to the parking lot to check my phone msg. If I have a long enough break, I can use the computer lab for checking email.

Reba said:
When I work at the college, we are not allowed to use cell phones or any electronic devices while in the classrooms. During breaks I go outside to the parking lot to check my phone msg. If I have a long enough break, I can use the computer lab for checking email.

reba, out of my curiousity, how can u book the schedules for jobs ?

deafclimber said:
reba, out of my curiousity, how can u book the schedules for jobs ?
All my appointments show up on an on-line calendar. When I am working at the college, most semesters it is almost a full-time schedule, so I don't get many "last-minute" appointments. If the scheduler needs to give me a last-minute job, he leaves a voice mail on my cell phone, a msg on my answering machine, and/or an email (depends on how urgent). He knows that I cannot receive calls while I am working. If I am interpreting for someone, obviously I can't answer the phone. :)

same situation for me too reba and when i do get called i have all my callback nbrs set up so i know to immidetely call them in case of emergencies on the road if im stuck i can prepare myself thats why i like to back myself up

I agree!

You really shouldn't you a cell phone or a hand held comptuer when your at an interprerting job.
I schedule my interpreting jobs through my E-mail or AIM.
I turn off my cell phone when I 'm interpreting.
Margie
Dir. Of Commuication Services
OCDAC

Back