Food Service positions

ClearSky

Reaction score
What should I apply for to work in a restaurant?

anything you want to do. I've worked as a waitress myself,... and you can do waitressing, you can do busboy, dishwasher, whatever you want.

like what bear said you can do anything..

there's even marketing.. (if its a fancy restruant) you can get business people to go there for meeting, etc.. and many to list... if you're having degree on some job types like accounting, bookkeeping, and many more ..

I worry I won't be able to do waitressing due to the amount of noises and variety of people you have to listen to. Are you hard of hearing that can hear better?

Any suggestion which places are better to start with? I would guess hostessing might be good to start with because all you get is the drinks...

It depends on what you want to do.

Don't just pick a position that you won't like or enjoy. The more you enjoy it, the longer you're likely to stay there.

Don't pick a position cuz it pays well and then come complaining to us that the job sucks. Don't pick a position that you enjoy and then come complaining to us that it doesn't pay well. Both have their risks. Which would you rather do... make good money or enjoy your job?

If you can find a position that you can enjoy and that pays well, then go for it.

What should I apply for to work in a restaurant?

:dunno:
:):)
Obviously that you do not know what you really want what kind of position job! :)

Anyway If you need extra money for working at a restaurant than if you are not experiencing cooking then apply for dishwasher or clean !

Good Luck!

I have a part time seasonal restaurant. If and when I take on someone, I prefer they float around doing everything and anything. I think it's more helpful and less boring for all involved.

Last year I took on a part time job in a kitchen as well as my running own business. I was hired to cook all the seafood. Long story short, I wind up doing a bit of everything in the kitchen. Lots of times when a person is hired and if they have other skills, they will get floated around. This is a good thing if you start out as a dishwasher - got your foot in the door, and then the managers need a sub for the day so here's your chance to fill in for another area - cooking, waiter, cashier or whatever you desire to learn to do or capable of doing. Take it from there.
Suzi

I'm completely deaf, clearsky. I got by on lipreading and having them point out what they want.. or if they were blind, I asked others to help since the blind couldn't really understand my voice due to the "deaf" voice.

awesome... I've always wanted to get into the catering business.. sigh!!! I don't bake but putting things together or stage the occasions is my thing.. smile...

I want a job that I will like for awhile, and that they pay well. Honestly, at this time, I am working to get out of my house, bring home money for my bills and my things.

I am working towards a better education, but at this point I can't do anything to have a great job and have a great pay--so that's not something I can really control much right now. Common sense, I need a job to make money while I work towards a better education. When I stayed home before, everyone calls me a lazy bum and that's bad for your self esteem. I don't like to work. I just want and need the money lol.

I am looking for a job change because I am getting bored with my job, so I want a job before I quit mine cold turkey like before. I know that this is what normally happens with jobs. What I am saying is that sometimes I look at restaurants like IHOP, and I think I might enjoy learning some new experiences to learn more about myself and my abilities. I am just hesitant to go into restaurants thinking I'll make a fool of myself being a hostess or waitress and suddenly have no job because I can't do it. I don't know how to take this step. I feel like a fool taking jobs as a dishwasher because I think people look at me and think I only have brains for washing dishes. I need a Life Coach.

Last time, I tried a restaurant interview, and the manager thought it'd be difficult for me in the kitchen as a cook because probably the kitchen people throw orders around that might be too confusing for me...I don't know. I sometimes wonder that in some kitchens you might need to hear well to get orders and some you read a paper.

Do hostess/host get paid tips or a set wage? Do host/hostess get paid 8 dollars an hour or always 5 dollars an hour?

Believe it or not Golden Coral has job descriptions, and in it, it says how much you need to hear for the job and every detail to how much pounds you need to lift. I am saying that it says, you need to be able to hear this and blah blah to perform the job. Grab an application yourself and see. That ain't something I read anywhere else.

Yeah, every job has it's requirements. but deaf people can do those jobs.. you just have to find ways to get around the hearing part of the job. IE, I have worked as a waitress.. and it makes things easier if people understand how to work with the deaf.

I was lucky with my waitressing job because My boss understood the deaf, and 95% of the time, the people I would wait on knew how to work with me. So that made things easier. Plus i had some great friends helping me in terms of the blind/can't read/whatever. there were people who, due to eye problems, couldn't read or were going blind, and I have worked with them. As long as you don't let your deafness be a barrier, you can do any job you choose.

This was a retirement home that I waitressed at. So yeah, I saw the same people on a daily basis.

Back