Florida: public school or FSDB?

1Artorius

Reaction score
Hi
I am researching this for my son who is deaf and has down syndrome (he is high functioning). He is 4 yrs old and is currently attending a public school in a total communication class room. I am looking towards the future. This school he is in goes through 5th grade with total communication. I am considering putting him in the deaf school in st. augustine. I would like to hear from others who have gone to that school and can tell me how they liked it.
thank you for your help. I know I have a long way to think about this, but I like to get an idea. We would consider moving closer to that school if it will be worth it to have my son go there.
thank you in advance.

Well.....first of all ask around and see what the programs are like in your district. I know from a friend of mine that special ed programs aren't too good in Florida. Usually when public special ed programs aren't too good, that means that the schools for kids with disabilties are pretty good. I recall that FSDB is supposed to be pretty good. Second, welcome! We definitly need more parents of dhh kids posting here!!! Don't feel shy about posting....I think actually we have some regular members who are dhh with special/additional needs. I am one of them. (hoh with a syndrome simalir to Down's except I am VERY high functioning)
I think one of our old members went to FSDB, but haven't seen her post in awhile (Irish Devil Dog....anyone know what happened to her?)
It's good that you're looking towards the future! Sorry for such a brief post, but I'm in the thick of packing and homework and stuff......

thanks a bunch

Your msg was very encouraging. You sound very together.
what kind of school are you in?

Judy

Have totally mainstreamed with the exception of preschool when I was in a self-contained classroom for kids with general special needs.. I am Massachusetts born and bred!..I do think however that a mainstream education can be overrated. Hey....is testing available? Have him tested at FSDB and see what they think a good placement would be. One downside of mainstreaming is that you practically have to be a disabilty rights lawyer to get anything beyond basic accomondations...a lot of times school districts just want the extra money that a disabled kid brings.....I have some links and will post them later!

I would suggest that your son should continue public education, but he can decide whether to take deaf education programs, or be challenged in all mainstreamed classes just like I do. My mom and I stopped deaf education programs last year and my school district was against me because they said that I should continue deaf education, and I proved them that I was right! I wish your son good luck! :)

1Artorius said:
Hi
I am researching this for my son who is deaf and has down syndrome (he is high functioning). He is 4 yrs old and is currently attending a public school in a total communication class room. I am looking towards the future. This school he is in goes through 5th grade with total communication. I am considering putting him in the deaf school in st. augustine. I would like to hear from others who have gone to that school and can tell me how they liked it.
thank you for your help. I know I have a long way to think about this, but I like to get an idea. We would consider moving closer to that school if it will be worth it to have my son go there.
thank you in advance.

Hello,

Myself went to FSDB for 4 months and move to another state. I really like FSDB a lot than any school I have went. They do educate me better than what the public school does. Before I went to FSDB, I was live in Jacksonvillie, FL and that public school is full of joke that doesn't have deaf education but more oral program that focus on oral skills. So I wasn't happy in public school for 3 months until I transfer to FSDB. I normal attending public school for the whole life but the Florida as what I have seen myself doesn't provide me a benefit even interpreter or the staff who work with special needs.

I have heard about FSDB for special need. I didn't mean to be negative because I don't met any special need but only two. If you live close where the FSDB and I don't see the problem. If you live far than that; here what I heard.

The educate provided them who is special disbility that attend or going to FSDB. I have seen them that two person in same hall where I stay in the dorm. One person seem have benefit from educate while other one doesn't. My dorm hall of houseparent do went with one of them who want to social or teach them do themselve as social with people. Beside; I only attending or stay there for 4 months. Only I know that some deaf reveraged with blind cuz they mocking the sign language. What kind of reveraged that I am talking about? The blind who is boy and asked one deaf person is where the restroom. So person guide him to the girl restroom. Girl got freak and do something to him. I don't know what happen afterall.

About stay or spend night at dorm on campus for who is special needs; I heard as not good story but I don't know if it a true. I have two person who is special needs in the dorm hall. They were happier to be without special needs in the dorm and not stay at the dorm where the special needs. Due issue with being "touch" them? You might want to dicuss about the student issue but if being stay and he can do himself most of time in the dorm such as can hang with people while houseparent monitor your son include another student too.

So I enjoy with FSDB but hardly met who has down syndrome because that one who stay where I stay on the same hall. I think he has down syndrome but he doing well. Of course, some people do tease him or trick him to take wrong pill on his hand that we don't know what going on while his roommate isn't special need but deaf. The pill which was taken as drug. So.. he got hurt and fear to be near that person who gave him the pill.

Thats all I can said for 4 months from what I see. Just remember that the dorm doesn't social another hall which is down stair. It need to be inform houseparent before they going to downstair to social around.

Good luck
:type:

thank you

Thanks for the replies.
Deafdyke, I joined the listserve, thanks for the link.

Like I said, it is a long time awaya before I have to make the decision what to do with my son. I might even homeschool him by that time, as I homeschool my 10 yr old. I homeschool him because the county I live in has a bad reputation in the school system. Even my deaf son goes to school in another county, in orlando. That school he goes to has a great reputation for deaf kids, so as long as he is able to go there, he will. My main concern for him is abuse. So far he has only had good experiences in his 2 years of preschool. Everyone at his school wants to adopt him because he is so lovable.

That school he goes to has a great reputation for deaf kids, so as long as he is able to go there, he will. My main concern for him is abuse.
Excellent! Still...it wouldn't hurt to have him evaluated at a place that is experianced with dhh kids....that's good that you've got til fifth grade to decide...that way if he decides he wants to do the res thing (and it's a LOT of fun) he'll be old enough for that! :)

ideafspy said:
Hello,

Myself went to FSDB for 4 months and move to another state. I really like FSDB a lot than any school I have went. They do educate me better than what the public school does. Before I went to FSDB, I was live in Jacksonvillie, FL and that public school is full of joke that doesn't have deaf education but more oral program that focus on oral skills. So I wasn't happy in public school for 3 months until I transfer to FSDB. I normal attending public school for the whole life but the Florida as what I have seen myself doesn't provide me a benefit even interpreter or the staff who work with special needs.

:type:

I understand how you feel about being in public school and I feel the same way, because sometimes my interpreter takes a personal day off, and sometimes my school district didn't call for a substitute interpreter. So I had my paraprofessional write down any important information so I understood what was going on in classes. I am happy with what I have, but I want to go to NTID and be around with deaf people. I might even move up there after I graduate from NTID.

where is ntid?

what kind of school is that? I have been told my my ASL instructor that the Deaf community is very close and help each other out.

but he can decide whether to take deaf education programs, or be challenged in all mainstreamed classes just like I do. My mom and I stopped deaf education programs last year and my school district was against me because they said that I should continue deaf education,
Did youstart out in deaf ed first off? I think that kids should start off in deaf edcuationan and gradually transistion to mainstreaming.It's good that your son's in an appropreatie program. There's still therisk of startingoff mainstreaming and then missing out on services and proper instruction.

deafdyke said:
Did youstart out in deaf ed first off? I think that kids should start off in deaf edcuationan and gradually transistion to mainstreaming.It's good that your son's in an appropreatie program. There's still therisk of startingoff mainstreaming and then missing out on services and proper instruction.
Yes, I did when I was first transferred to public schools in 1999

Back