fingerbraille anyone?

inmate23

Reaction score
does anyone use fingerbraille?

what is fingerbraille?

Communicating using braille on the hand.
Good braillists may like to use braille contractions for speed and some will indicate that words/sentences need not be complete because they have a good grasp of language.

Braillists may prefer to use dots 4, 5 and 6 for word signs if the deafblind person wishes and the sender knows braille.

Dot 4 - on the wrist at the base of the thumb.
Dot 5 - on the centre of the wrist in line with the middle finger.
Dot 6 - on the wrist in line with the edge of the little finger.
Dot 4,5,6 - stroke the wrist from under the thumb to under the little finger.
Dot 4,5 - stroke the wrist from its centre to under the thumb.
Dot 5,6 - stroke the wrist from its centre to under the little finger.
Dot 4,6 - touch both edges of the wrist simultaneously. The Deafblind Alphabet Manual Page Alphabet Card

how i found out about it?

I once had the great privilege of working with a Fingerbraille interpreter who was visiting the UK from Japan. She tapped my fingers as though they were the keys of a braillewriter, using all the abbreviations used in Braille. Because I can speak, a blind person in the same room didn't realise I was using a communication facilitator, the conversation had flowed so smoothly. I cried for joy afterwards.

When I've suggested Fingerbraille, people ridicule me. Though widely used in Japan, it's not common in the UK - possibly because it looks a little odd. But Japanese deafblind people can communicate much faster, almost as fast as speech. My colleagues think Fingerbraille is an absurd way to communicate. BBC - Ouch! (disability) - Features - Communication crazy

Back