Feedback from hearing aids

Victorias mom

Reaction score
Today my daughter got her hearing aids. She is only 4 months so she does not hold her head up, so sitting in her seat or swing you hear feedback when her head gets too close to the seat. Also when she is on my shoulder I notice it. How annoying is that going to be for her?? I am not sure if she even hears it. That noise can't really hurt her right? She has severe to profound hearing loss, so we don't know yet what she is hearing. Like I said its the first day and we have to get used to the hearing aids. I just don't want that noise to bother her, but I guess there is nothing I can do until she holds up her head. If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Thanks

WOW, 4 months.
I have to admit I have no experience with that age. My daughter got HA's around 1 year of age.
It's difficult to see if the child benefits from it, especially in the beginning.

One of the main reasons (we were told) is to keep activating the auditory nerve. But I also had my questions about this. Is sound is not passed to the nerve; how is it going to help. But still, even some sound might help.

I don't think she is bothered by it - looking at my daughter. She wore them without problems during the day at the childcare, but removed it as soon as she got in the car. Or at home.
As if the location (with other children with HA's and CI) was decisive. Not discomfort.

Keep it on and meanwhile take a good look around for other possibilities.
If she benifits from HA's, excellent. If not, then you know about other options.
I have allways felt that the time my daughter spent with HA's was for good use.

Hope you can do something with the info.

Cloggy

From what I heard, it's great for my daughter that has her hearing aids so early. Hopefully she can get some of the sounds. I hope she is not bothered by it. But like you said if nothing else, it is stimulating the nerves, so her brain is taking some of it in, even though she may not respond. We will see how she does, but mostly likely hearing aids will not help her much. I am pretty sure we will take the implant route after we try all the different hearing aids. The school I am taking her to will test her each week, so it should be an interesting couple of months.

Thanks for the info!!

Feedbacks will occur now and then, usually when it does happen, turning down the volume can help--also, the earmold which fits inside the ear could very well be loose. Although, at this young age, not being able to hold her head up yet and when the hearing aid is against something such as her swing can also contribute to the feedback when the hearing aid is somewhat loose. Feedbacks shouldn't be bothering her, it's just simply a case of it being annoying.... ;)

Your daughter must look quite adorable with her 'new' hearing aid-- :) Also, I'm sure you could be quite anxious and doing all you can do to assure that her progress does indeed go smoothly, give it time and not only will you continue to learn how it goes, but you'll be able to 'connect' with her while you lovingly support her.

Feedback most likely will do no damage, though it can be annoying and/or uncomfortable. Talk to her audiologist - they may have a recommendation, including turning the aids down or changing the material the ear mold is made of.

I used to get a lot of feedback with my hearing aids. It didn't annoy me at all as hearing people heard it better than I did. I used to wonder what they got so stressed as it wasn't such a big deal to me :)

You tend to get more feedback with the more powerful aids and also if the ear mould is not a good fit. Excessive wax build up can make it worse too.

While feedback can be reduced by turning the aids down in volume please make sure that it's not turned down so low that it makes hearing more difficult.

I remember my wife saying that even 5 pounds weight gain or loss will affect the ear molds.

Our kids has gone through maybe 10 sets of ear molds each already... the rate should reduce as the wearer grows physically. It's a lot like shoes.

that is interesting about the 5-lb weight gain
from what i could remember wearing a hearing aid -- i did not know of the feedbacks until someone reacts and ask me to readjust the mold or turn the HA down or off
and i have seen expressions on their faces when they were told of the feedbacks -- the expression shows that they were unaware of it happening
so it should not be bothering your baby

oh and for your information, i had not benefited from HAs -- so i haven't worn one in years and years -- i actually may benefit from the newer HAs but i don't feel the need to get one -- i'm happy :popcorn:

Unfortunetly I can't control the volume, because of the degree of her loss the volume is turned all the way up, and it has to stay that way. One of her molds is loose, so I waiting for the new one to come in. That one just keeps falling off, so half the time I turn it off because it's out of her ear more than it's in. She has no hearing in that ear anyway, so most likely she won't be picking up any sounds from that hearing aid. I can handle the noise as long as it doesn't bother her, which from what everyone says it shoudn't. Thanks to all for letting me know, I feel better knowing it is not annoying her.

She does look cute with them on, I will have to try and post a picture. She really doesn't mind having them on (most of the time).

Thanks!

Roadrunner said:
Feedbacks will occur now and then, usually when it does happen, turning down the volume can help--also, the earmold which fits inside the ear could very well be loose. Although, at this young age, not being able to hold her head up yet and when the hearing aid is against something such as her swing can also contribute to the feedback when the hearing aid is somewhat loose. Feedbacks shouldn't be bothering her, it's just simply a case of it being annoying.... ;)

Your daughter must look quite adorable with her 'new' hearing aid-- :) Also, I'm sure you could be quite anxious and doing all you can do to assure that her progress does indeed go smoothly, give it time and not only will you continue to learn how it goes, but you'll be able to 'connect' with her while you lovingly support her.

You are right.. the first day I was very stressed. I have to admit when she went to bed, I needed a glass of wine! I am better now, I just didn't expect them to make so much noise!

She does have very powerful aids, so I think I just have to deal with it.

Thanks

R2D2 said:
I used to get a lot of feedback with my hearing aids. It didn't annoy me at all as hearing people heard it better than I did. I used to wonder what they got so stressed as it wasn't such a big deal to me :)

You tend to get more feedback with the more powerful aids and also if the ear mould is not a good fit. Excessive wax build up can make it worse too.

While feedback can be reduced by turning the aids down in volume please make sure that it's not turned down so low that it makes hearing more difficult.

They way babies grow, I am going to be replacing molds constantly. I am already waiting for a second mold. I guess her ear grew a little already.

Thanks for the info.

Fragmenter said:
I remember my wife saying that even 5 pounds weight gain or loss will affect the ear molds.

Our kids has gone through maybe 10 sets of ear molds each already... the rate should reduce as the wearer grows physically. It's a lot like shoes.

there's a earmold that is not like ours which fill out the outer ear but the one that only fit the ear canal like in the ear type.. they claims no feedbacks at all due to the design of earmold.
so it is one size fit all that is now highly recommended by one hearing aid maker that I forgot which.. I came across that website few days ago but forgot where it is.. I'll look it up and let you know as soon I come across that info so you can look into that type of earmold.

cheers..

Back