English

Nusentinsaino

Reaction score
I am regarding the english that the interpreters sign to us deaf people. While most interpreters are fast, slow, or just plain stupid... Most of them are good, like my own. She signs every single word that the teacher/person says, however i have been to other schools or events that involves deaf people... I watched some interpreters signing and since i can read lips extremely well, I read the lips of the speaker while i watched the interpreter summerizing the sentences. For Example:

The Speaker, "Dont write this type of sentences over and again"
Interpreter, "Dont write this again, again, again."

The Speaker, "I am expectially glad to be with you ladies and gentlemen tonight"
Interpreter, "I am happy to be with you people"

Now, Your thoughts on this? Personally, I think it is wrong. Because that makes deaf people and kids ignorant about the English language, I have noticed that some of you on this forums need to improve your grammar skills, Its not your fault! I dont blame you, Its the interpreter's fault, and English was not your first language, Its hard i know! So im just saying that interpreters should be giving their efforts into saying every single word because we deaf people are normal human beings and we dont want to become ignorant or incompetent because we dont know how to speak with the English langauge! That is the reason why i am deeply impressed to see other deaf people with perfect speech and grammar because that shows that they are very, very intelligent because since they are deaf, They cant hear the voices and speeches, Its amazing how most deaf people can speak.

I understand what you mean. I grew up with interpreters who used SEE. That's why I was able to get every word that the teacher was saying. I didn't experience ASL until I started going to church with a deaf program and their students used ASL. After graduating high school, I finally experienced an ASL interpreter for the first time.

Nusentinsaino said:
..Now, Your thoughts on this? Personally, I think it is wrong. Because that makes deaf people and kids ignorant about the English language, I have noticed that some of you on this forums need to improve your grammar skills, Its not your fault! I dont blame you, Its the interpreter's fault, and English was not your first language, Its hard i know! So im just saying that interpreters should be giving their efforts into saying every single word because we deaf people are normal human beings and we dont want to become ignorant or incompetent because we dont know how to speak with the English langauge!
It depends on the situation. Terps are terps; they are not English teachers. It is the responsibility of the teacher to use appropriate ways to teach the subject matter. It is the responsibility of the terp to convey the teacher's utterances in a clear and accurate way.

In an educational setting, in a class teaching English reading and writing, then terps can use SEE.

In a setting where the majority sign preference is SEE, the terp can use SEE. In a "mixed" audience of SEE and ASL users, if there are two terps available, one can sign SEE, and the other can sign ASL. If there is only one terp, the compromise will probably be CASE or PSE.

Again, it is the responsibility of the terp to INTERPRET. Interpreters do NOT teach during an interpreting assignment.

If you are the only Deaf individual at an event being interpreted, you can inform the terp of your preference. If you prefer signed English, word-for-word, let the terp know before the event begins. Terps are not mind readers.

I agree with what reba said. Some deaf people prefer ASL. Some, like you, prefer SEE. It just depends on the individual.

It's hard to sign everything at once, so it's quicker and easier to translate it in the shortest way possible so all the message gets across. It's difficult in lectures because they have to interpret so much information and translate it correctly. If it's in the doctor's office or something where the interpreter can take their time and every word is important, I don't mind if they use SEE.

If you guys are gonna make interpreters sign SEE, then the interpreters deserve to be paid more money. Signing SEE is physically harder than ASL. Just imagine the health bills mounting!! Especially when most of the interpreters do not have health benefits!

If you want it word by word, get a stenographer or typewell typist!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want your interpreter to be signing closer to English, let her know. The examples you give, as other people have pointed out, are examples of INTERPRETING, which is taking the meaning and expressing it into a different language. You may want TRANSLITERATING, which is taking one form of English (spoken) and turning it into another form (signed English).

Deaf258 said:
If you guys are gonna make interpreters sign SEE, then the interpreters deserve to be paid more money.

Heh, thanks for that comment! SEE is fantastic for getting the message across in ESL classes and other places where the exact English is important, but if I had to use it all day I'd never get out of bed.

If you want it word by word, get a stenographer or typewell typist!

Hey, I used to do Typewell...I didn't know it was used in your location, I only knew about it here in California. I enjoyed doing it, only stopped to finish up my interpreter training.

I have taken an RID Interpreter workshop and found out that interpreters are UNDERPAID! The average, estimated pay for interpreters should be 90 dollars per hour. Do the math. 75 + 15 = 90 dollars. Only the 75 dollars earned goes towards saving for paying health benefits, workshop fees, certification and evaluative fees, cost of transportation, extra courses to keep ASL skills and vocabulary fresh. I am forgetting a few more things, but the list was pretty clear that interpreters are not paid enough. They only bring home the 15 dollars to pay for rent, food and bills.

Nusentinsaino said:
Now, Your thoughts on this?
I think this is something that can only be decided on a person by person basis. I knew a deaf woman who would only accept straight ASL. She would grow angry if the interpreters tried to sign more like what the speaker was actually saying. Another friend prefered more of a SEE style. It really depends on what the person wants. Since you prefer it a word for word interpretation, that's what you should ask for. If you prefered ASL, however, you wouldn't want me to be signing in SEE.

Back