Dream Deafie Laptop? Sony Vaio P "netbook" (It's the size of Ultratec's "Compact")

Mark Rejhon

Reaction score
Hello,

I think that this coat-pocket-sized laptop is pretty neat:
- Run WINDOWS XP or VISTA
- Builtin camera for video conferencing
- Builtin 3G highspeed Internet and wireless 'n'
- Very high resolution 1600x768 screen (can be switched to lower resolution or browser zoomed to 200% for full-screen video relay)

A pocket size laptop that works with ALL ip-relay services including video relay, with a built-in camera and built-in highspeed cellular Internet (3G). It's the same size as the folding clamshell Ultratec 'Compact' TTY (Less than 1 inch longer, about 1 inch deeper, but only 2/3rd thickness)

The sony uses key spacing 92% the size of the regular keyboard, so the keyboard is bigger than the Ultratec folding Compact clamshell TTY which uses key spacing 87% the size of a regular keyboard. If you can touchtype on an Ultratec folding Compact, it should be no problem to touchtype on these Sony netbooks. Most people, after a few minutes, can readapt touchtyping to a 92% keyboard, and many deafies already do because they type on gadgets of all sizes of keyboards, such as TTY's that have smaller keyboards than this Sony laptop.

It is kinda expensive at $899 (the ASUS eeePC is half the price), but the built-in 3G highspeed cellular Internet .... This means get Internet ANYWHERE there is cell phone reception (or can tether it to a BlackBerry or cellphone), means you can do video-relay pretty much anywhere, in a coat-pocket-size laptop... And it's half the size of an ASUS eeePC, but with a relatively good keyboard for its size (as touchtypeable as the Ultratec 'Compact' clamshell folding TTY)

vaio_pseries.jpg

Passport_Glossy_Black_-_Front_Right_copy_610x426.jpg

Video chat camera at upper-right corner.

vaiop.jpg

Link to Sony's webpage about this laptop

The CPU is only 1.33 Ghz and the hard disk small (60GB through 128GB), it does compensate with 2 gigabytes RAM... But this isn't the point -- it is how 'usable' the laptop is for communications.... helping deafies with phone, video, relay, iprelay, chat, communications, etc. I think this is probably a dream "communcator" pocket laptop that still has a touchtypeable keyboard... Built-in Internet, built-in camera, built-in touchtypeable keyboard, running Windows XP/Vista -- all in a nearly-pocket size (coat/fanny pocket size, of course) ... To boot, it even has built-in GPS and weighs only 1.4 pounds. Sony designed a touch-typeable keyboard and then designed the smallest possible laptop around the keyboard.

Very cool. The price should go down in a year or two. Then I might buy one.

It is multi-Touchscreen? NO?

I hear new ASUS EEE with touchscreen at CES 2009

Sony is 1.33ghz but Intel ATOM is 1.6ghz, ASUS EEE hae it

It is multi-Touchscreen? NO?

I hear new ASUS EEE with touchscreen at CES 2009

Sony is 1.33ghz but Intel ATOM is 1.6ghz, ASUS EEE hae it
It's great too! But the Sony is smaller and with a better keyboard. I prefer usability over 0.27 Ghz difference. The screen is also higher resolution, at 1600x768 too.

Who makes the smallest touch-typeable laptop? That's more important to me...

Back