Does your parents force you to wear hearing aids or old fashion FM system?

DeafMonkey

Reaction score
when I was kids my mom always put me of my old FM system in everyday cause she want me to hear it without not listen and also not want walk and tap my shoulder to get me attetion rather calling my name to get my attetion.

Funny thing make me laugh!! that my grandmother told me about I was kid that time I crawling not yet to walk and my mom was calling my name keep going calling my name then I stop crawling and sit to staring at my mom then I pulled my FM system of string out of my ears and I laugh then keep going crawling. My grandma was laugh laugh and my mom was soooo mad at my grandma to said " that is not FUNNY!!! then my grandma stop laugh but it was funny. I am sure my mom put back on my ears lol .

not sure what age but my grandmother told me about it when my mom put FM system on and I told her I dont want it to wear it that I pushed her arms away from me cause I dont want to wear it then my mom slap my hands to said wear that FM system and I cried:( had to wear it. But still wear FM system cause I love to hear the sound heheeh :giggle:

In 1990 on christmas day in the morning that I dont wear my hearing aids so I go ahead to open the presents but my mom trying to call my name which I didnt listen it caue cant hear it so my sister walk and tap my shoulder to said " Mom wants you " so I turn my head around and look at my mom then she asked me " Where is your hearing aids??" I told her it is in bedroom then she told me to wear it then I said no dont want it till she got into so mad at me that time my youngest sister was very sick. then I said to her FINE!! and grab my hearing aids on then I told her happy now?? she said yeah! hehe

funny thing when no hearing aids on and my mom was stomp stomp on the floor to get me attetion but I didnt get attetion heehe the floor was too light can feel it but I dont hehe only if I wear my hearing aids and calling my name that I get my attetion. I dunno why lol maybe I get used it when I was kid till now that my family calling my name and never come to my shoulder to tap to get me attetion I guess hehe :giggle:

So now my mom accept it if I am not wear hearing aids that she get used it :)

I am used to wearing hearing aids since I was 3 and I loved it. I only take it off if I have bad headache. I did stopped wearing for about 5 years then went back last year.

Mama2AFTIV said:
I am used to wearing hearing aids since I was 3 and I loved it. I only take it off if I have bad headache. I did stopped wearing for about 5 years then went back last year.

ohhh Mine start wear FM system when I was 6 months old baby then start hearing aids when I was 4 yrs old :lol: but love to hear the sound hehe. some of my family said I am so lucky cause they get annoying to hear from babies cried and the kids yell around alots lol

My parents never really forced me, the encouraged me. I actually had the very old hearing aids. It was like a small box strapped to my chest with a wire plugged in and going to an ear mold that's in my ears. It was uncomfortable and I would usually take it off. So, my mom redesigned most of my clothes so that I could just put it in a pocket and not deal with the straps. Because of this, I wore my hearing aid more often. :)

One example of what she did was... she took my overalls, removed a back pocket stitch by stitch, then sewed it to the front middle. Now, I looked better and felt more comfortable. ;)

I wasn't forced, I was encouraged to wear it to communicate with hearing folks. I had the old fashioned FM system strapped to my hips. I could hear them talking in other room,they have a microphone to talk and it sends it wirelessly to the FM and I can hear them. It's really cool tech in the old days. :)

When my parents first put my hearing aid on me (about aged 2.5 years old) I pitched a fit and kept pulling it off. It was one of those big boxy aids that they had back in the 70s. Anyway they bought me a big box of chocolate candy and let me at it and while I was stuffing my face they quietly put my hearing aid on. Apparently I never tried to take it off after that.

R2D2

Actually at age 3 I got FM System thingy too for short time then got HA.

DeafMonkey said:
ohhh Mine start wear FM system when I was 6 months old baby then start hearing aids when I was 4 yrs old :lol: but love to hear the sound hehe. some of my family said I am so lucky cause they get annoying to hear from babies cried and the kids yell around alots lol

My parents made me wear the FM device until 4thgrade.....hated it....it was like this big boxy thing with straps!

my parent not force me as they are both deaf :D

But, i wear hearing aid sometime at school, but most time i cannot bothered as i can still hear a bit, if i sit front row, but my Digital Hearing Aid tends to play up every now and then, so its annoying, but teacher of deaf at my school keep angry tell me why i not wear and give me detention if i not wear.

but i never turn up to detention, stupid teacher. she not my mother so she cannot tell me what to do!

but i did wear FM in primary school but i broke it cos it was annoying me.

I broke it in 4th grade and got suspended from school for 4 days.

Can you believe that they are pushing FM usage OUT OF SCHOOL?!?!?!
Ummm.....OK, that REALLY makes a lot of sense. God, you would think that the FM device is as nessary as breathing. I don't deny that there might be some people who benifit from FM device usage, but FM benifit isn't universal!
Can you believe that they are pushing it for little kids? WTF does a little kid need with an FM device?

VamPyroX said:
I actually had the very old hearing aids. It was like a small box strapped to my chest with a wire plugged in and going to an ear mold that's in my ears.

Same here, my sister and I had our first old hearing aids when we were in kindergarten ( we didn't lose our hearing until the age of 5 )....

Our parents didn't force us to wear them, it didn't seem to bother us back then until we got to high school....Things became a bit hard on us when other kids teases us for wearing hearing aids....

As I remember in my old school in ECD that teacher told us the students to wear it FM System. I remember I told my teacher I dont want FM System so I rather use my hearing aids that it and she told me wear it FM System cause teacher have microphead (sp) on their teachers' chest which I refused it till I had to wear FM system. In my mind why wear FM system which I hate it and I rather only hearing aids that it all and one of my old best friend cant hear on hearing aids or FM system but she had to wear it and still cant hear. Which I hate heavy FM system .. till in grade 7 and 8 finally no more heavy FM system for me and we wear small FM system only on the pants to hold not on chest anymore finally about the time but still we dont like FM System cause some of them want only hearing aids not FM System and some of them dont want to wear hearing aids cause it is not important to wear it lol :lol:

long time ago when ECD was set up build in 1962 or 1963 and the students are wear FM System something like that with the phonehead to wear it and no sign lanagues allow. When the teacher see them signs of their hand then tell them NO SIGNS! use speak their lip and voice to talk. I dont like to see teachers to tell them no signs of their hands. Good things that I wasnt there and I start school in 1982 and can use signs :)

Me neither when I was about 5 y/o started in kindergarten, I already liked ha's becuz I enjoyed to hear it very much. I didn't have problem with this, not even complained at all. I was very selfish cared about my ha's a lot.

I was never forced to wear my hearing aid because I didn't have one... Now that I do, I'm not forced to wear one since I'm an adult and I decide for myself, though they prefer that I do.

My parents would prefer me to wear ha, but they can get uncomfortable if I wear them for too long. Supposedly my speech is more slurry than usual if I don't wear my hearing aids.

I've always worn my hearing aids since I was 2 years old... it doesn't bother me at all.. the only time I take it out when I'm going to bed, shower or don't want to hear annoy stuff. thats all..Other than that it doesn't bother me... Soon going to get a Cochlear Implant.! Excited about it!

Anyone who wants to pm me, feel free! :angel:

God bless you!

My parents never forced me to wear them. They did bought me this hearing aid and Ialways threw it in the toilet and flush it! Yike! my parent werent very happy because it was pretty expensive. i didnt know how expensive it was until my mom told me. i was like uh oh! ha.. but after that they never bought me another because they realize i really dont like it. I can hear a little bit like when dog barking, somebody scream really loud, music, some loud bangs and stuff thats really really loud. i could hear them a little bit. when i put on my hearing aid. it was like everything is so chaos for me! i cant stand that noisy! i like my world being quiet! :)

I loved it from the very beginning because I was glad to hear something. Anyway, my mom does get mad when I don't wear my device. It's irritating for her because I keep asking "what? what?" and make her repeat things she doesn't need to. I understand her because it is exhausting to repeat. Sometimes she's like, "I am not talking to you until you put on your hearing aids!" Then I sometimes make her repeat when I don't want to put on my device. Sometimes I don't realize that I am speaking in a way that my mom cannot hear me, and I am thinking I am speaking loud enough. Sometimes she doesn't wear her glasses and can't see things, so it's real irritating when she can't see what I want to show her. She's like, "I can't see!" She's lazy about getting her glasses. I am like, where's your glasses?! It's the same thing.

IceCream said:
I loved it from the very beginning because I was glad to hear something. Anyway, my mom does get mad when I don't wear my device. It's irritating for her because I keep asking "what? what?" and make her repeat things she doesn't need to. I understand her because it is exhausting to repeat. Sometimes she's like, "I am not talking to you until you put on your hearing aids!" Then I sometimes make her repeat when I don't want to put on my device. Sometimes I don't realize that I am speaking in a way that my mom cannot hear me, and I am thinking I am speaking loud enough. Sometimes she doesn't wear her glasses and can't see things, so it's real irritating when she can't see what I want to show her. She's like, "I can't see!" She's lazy about getting her glasses. I am like, where's your glasses?! It's the same thing.

LOL!!!

Back