Do you use the telephone relay service? I need ur input to make an informed decision

Relay should not shut down!

Hi everyone, I am a dog breeder who breeds & trains dogs for people with disabilities. I also sell the puppies that are not suitable for service. This supports the program. I also place rescue dogs in forever homes. In the last couple of years, I no longer take telephone relay calls because they are being used fraudantly by Nigerians and others who have my info from ads I place. I am not deaf but they say they are. If they have my number, they have my email and could email me so there is no reason to use relay. They are using the relay so the person on the other end doesn't identify their accent. I have been the subject of hundreds of scams of all kinds over the years, so I recognize them immediately and don't get taken in by them. These are scams, not deaf people. This is happening to many breeders and other business people. My understanding is that the interpreter is not allowed in a way to identify them for interfere with the conversation even if they recognize it as a scam. I have not taken any steps to report this to the telephone relay people bcs if the deaf community is still using it and needs it, I don't want to do anything that would interfere. But if most of you are now using email & TM and thiswhole service is mainly being used by scammers its an enormous waste of money & resources and should be reported & perhaps shut down? So pls give me feedback on this.
1. Does anyone still use it or is everyone using email & tm or?
2. Would it be a hardship on you if it were shut down?
3. Do you want it left up but should there be some filtering by the interpreter?
4. Should there be some policies put in place to stop this fraudulant use?
5. I am not knowledgeable on this subject so I would welcome any information you want to give me that would educate me.
6. I would also like to know more about the program. Is it funded federally? 7. Who would one contact to report?
Thanks in advance for your feedback and any information you want to share. PUppy love from Tipppytoes & furry folk

I am deaf and depend on relay fro very important calls, I agree with the one person who commented that you should be able to pick out the scammers as I do on my sales on Craigslist.org I can pick out scammers immediately and they are a nusiance. Relay should be aware of this situation you are talking about and I would report this to them.
I am also interested in your puppies that you say are not suitable for service, y are they not suitable? i have trained 2 daogs in the past to work for me, one passed on and the other is ready to pass any time now (she is in a lot of pain but my finances are not able to help her. It would be better for me to get another pup 2 replace her. Can you comtact me in my email?
hi5mom@comcast.net I am intersted in what you do please let me have info. and in message box pls put in working dog. Thank you and look forward to "hearing" from you Sheila montoya

I think your right. I shouldn't be here. I answered Sheila privately. Now I'll say goodbye. Puppy love from Tipppytoes & furry folk

For many years, I've gotten many relay calls from TTY, VRS, and text phone-to-voice. I've never gotten a scam call, and our home phone number (which is also our business phone) is listed on our website, in the Yellow Pages, in the White Pages, and on our business cards.

TTY or VP

I think so better videophone that is good for vp. I hate tty is slow always complaint to tty. I tired I am boring sometimes tty that is why reason fast sign langauge on vp that is good for you help sign langauge that is sound great. I hope be happy I hear about to videophone......

THat is why reason help emergency or help doctor. that is clear understand better vpad wish be set up vpad. I love vpad. I hope be wait for vpad. I wait for money. I will pay for vpad. i hope be happy

I think so better videophone that is good for vp. I hate tty is slow always complaint to tty. I tired I am boring sometimes tty that is why reason fast sign langauge on vp that is good for you help sign langauge that is sound great. I hope be happy I hear about to videophone......

What will you do if the power goes out? If the power goes out, you will not be able to use the VP because the TV and the VP does not run on batteries.

THat is why reason help emergency or help doctor. that is clear understand better vpad wish be set up vpad. I love vpad. I hope be wait for vpad. I wait for money. I will pay for vpad. i hope be happy

VPAD is quite expensive. Aren't you on some sort of public assistance in Canada? I don't know what it is called over here, but down here we have SSI/SS but we only get a small amount of it each month (around $700 a month for most deaf people). Can you afford it?

Back