do interpreters care about you?

snoflkz

Reaction score
I'm just curious, since I am studying to be an interpreter, how Deaf people feel about interpreters? Tell me everything you think, from how you think they feel about you, to what you feel about them, how much you think they make, are they in it just for the money, etc. Be detailed!! I'm using this information for a school project!! Plus, it will help me get a feel for how to act and what to do when I'm an interpreter sometime in the future!!

Thanks!!

PS - you can see my other posts for survey questions if you would like to fill those out!

I have had some really great interpreters that I am still friends with now. I suppose it all depends on the person...if he or she is a good person, then I have no objections on being friends!

all intercrepters have different personalities and it's very important that an intercrepter and a deaf student must get along together, otherwise if they don't then she may not help the deaf student as much as he/she should be...

there are some good intercrepters, some so-so intercrepters, and even some HORRIBLE intercrepters that should definetly be fired, etc... because some are just too lazy and don't go to school often and don't really give advices, more explained details, and alittle help when a studen is having trouble with something in class.

you see, an intercrepter should do MUCH more than just intercrept...an intercrepter should be your friend too, not an enemy or anything like that.

Yes, I do believe there's many who care about the people they work for. I like the ones I have now, and they do a good job. They can be nice to socialize with.

I've had some great and so-so interpreters in the past, so my experience with them was great. Even the so-so interpreters, who obviously needed more training, would come see me after class and ask how they're doing and/or how they can improve so I can better understand them in the future. I think that's a big plus for all interpreters.

Good luck, Snoflkz

I'm still friends to some of them, I had my high school interpreter to sign at my wedding (atlas she was my bus driver) hehe.

Still friends with one interpreter, who interpreted at both birth of my sons.

I've had great experience with alot of interpreters in the past and even now, some of them I am still friends with...It's depending on each interpreters....

I've had a very good experience with my interpreters on my recent russian trip... I can't say that interpreters care for us in general, but it depends on the individual and the circumstances. For instance, I was very upset about something personally... all of my three interpreters really cared. Really did care. I asked them about boundaries between client/interp.. they admitted it was very different from interpreting on a daily basis in a normal situation from being with us 24/7 for 7 days on the trip.. they are also human beings :)

ive become friends with a few terps over the years -- ive had REAL GOOD terps and some AWFUL terps

theres a terp i really like and enjoy socializing with her as well as having her terp when i need a terp :thumb:

It's important for interpreters to remember their roles in interpreting. While they are interpreting, they become a conduit of information - sort of a non-person. This might sound a bit harsh, but while they are interpreting, they care more about their accuracy in how they are conveying the information. Because the interpreter would care that his interpreting is clear and precise, we could safely say that he does care about his client.

In my experiences, it seems the most qualified interpreters I have met will try to get to know their client prior to interpreting. The interpreter will try to find the client, greet the client, and then determine the needs of the client. A skilled/caring interpreter will quickly be able to determine exactly what type of interpreting needs to be - whether the client needs high-level ASL or whether the client benefits more with lip-reading and ASL. I believe when an interpreter makes the proper preparations for his assignment, then he cares about his client.

I honestly can say, I have never met an interpreter who didn't care for his client.

I don't think I have ever met an interpreter who only "does it for the money". They interpret for their livelyhood, for their careers. But they do care and are very passionate about the Deaf and HoH communities. Often you will see them at various functions and not in the role of an interpreter, but as an individual.

I am friend with some of interpreters. I see no problem to being friend with them only if they can separate duty and private. Alot of interpreters can do that.

I've gone on field trips, been in classes, and been in meetings with 'terps and their deaf clients; their roles were very different. The field trip, visiting CSUN for a day through a JC, let the 'terps be more relaxed, and easily shift between friend and interpreter. One of the interpreters had actually been a student at CSUN, and when not interpreting, could add information she had and even helped the tour guide when she couldn't answer a few questions. Later, when we all had lunch together, again, the 'terps could be ppl, not just 'terps. In classes, the terps are usually more reserved, though it depends on the 'terp/deafie relationship. Most may chat a lil b4 class, and then just 'terp, nothing more. In the meetings, in was all business, even before the meeting started.
I know I've had very lil experience with 'terps, BUT becuz I am not yet a 'terp, I'm not sure I will ever be, (I'm much more interested in teaching), many deafies will talk to me about their opinions. I don't mean this offensively, but I had noticed the more educated a deafie is, the more they seem to like 'terps, and the more they use them. This could be becuz of more experiencing using them, a better grasp of English, and a better understanding of the role of a 'terp. Also, when a deafie is uneducated, and doesn't have great grammar in ASL or English, it makes them very difficult to be interpreted to/interpreted.
I don't believe 'terps, other than maybe a few CODAs, go into it for the money. To get good money, you have to be a good 'terp, and that take a lot of time, not only in school but also in the deaf community. You have to be willing to be wrong and be corrected, and know that there is always someone who could do your job better than you. A 'terp teacher of mine once said, "I've been doing this job 25 years, and here's what I have figured out. Interpreting is 10% skill, and 90% guessing." Realize that simulataneous interpreting requires you to be saying one message, while converting another message in your head, while receiving a third message. This is NOT easy!

Some of the deaf people which have trouble understanding terps lead insular lives. They don't socialize much outside their families and a few friends. They have a smaller vocabulary. Also, they may use more Home Sign than ASL. A friend of mine is an 80-year old deaf man. One time I mentioned Gauladette University (and I could never spell that school correctly!) and he had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to explain to him it was a university for deaf students. He had no clue. I turned to a sixty-year old deaf friend and told her he wasn't understanding me. She tried to explain to him what Gally was. Still he didn't understand us. Finally, we ask two very skilled interpreters to try and explain Gally. He just didn't understand at all.

One time an interpreter signed something to someone and I and we didn't know what it meant. I had to ask her to fingerspell the word. My friend didn't understand it, but I did. The interpreter asked me how I would sign it. I signed a phrase (I can't remember what it was!!) and the interpreter said she would start using my phrase because it made concept simple for some deafies who might not understand.

I guess I have been pretty lucky about interpreters. I've never had to pay for one.

Yeah, I had a nicest interpreter since high school...
her name was Nancy....
she invited me to her house.... and we had lunch...
She was so cool.
And she let me and other deaf students to join her church... to go to
Panama Beach.

Wow... God bless her. I wish there are many people like her. :wave:

Back