Digital Hearing Aid question Re: M-T-MT

leroy anlin

Reaction score
Hi, my Aunt recently recieved a new digital hearing aid (BTE) and she's having a bit of trouble getting used to it.

As well as the normal volume control she has a slider with M-T -MT on it plus about another 3 settings on each side (so six in total!).

Now this was a hearing aid obtained through the NHS in the uk (like medi-care I think) there seems to be no manufacturer on it, she didn't get a manual and the nurse didn't even bother explaining the settings. :mad:

So here I am trying to find out if anyone is familiar with this type? :confused:

Thanks,
Leroy.

hey Leroy. that's really shitty about your aunts situation. I hope that she didn't get ripped off. How much was it? (don't worry about what unit of currency, i know how to convert pounds in $) If she is able to return it and go to a proper audiologist, i'm assuming that she didn't, that would be her best bet.

I myself wear 2 digital BTE's and they're wonderful, but they do take some getting used to. My Senso Diva ( i have two different makes) has the M MT T switch deal.

M is for microphone. It should always be set to that to hear normally.

MT i believe is to help cut out background noise. Generally, the BTE being digital, will do that itself though.

T is for telephone, also known as the t-coil. When she talks on the phone it should be switched to that. She'll hear a zzzzzzz buzzing like sound, which is the hearing aid picking up the magnetic feild sound of the telephone. That is normal, she should be hearing that when switched to T. When she uses the phone it should be on T.

I hope that helped. If you want to research google is an excellent search engine for finding hearing aids. You've come to a great site for advise. Good luck!

Have you tried going back to the nurse? It wouldn't hurt to ask. :dunno:

Setting of hearing aid is must according to audiogram, other wise it will not be useful, what I observed in my son's hearing aid.Qualified Audiologist is must for that purpose.Whenever setting is disturbed he feels uncomfort. :cold:

Leroy - That's odd no brand on her hearing aid. (Did you check in the back of the hearing aid?) It sounds like it is a scam business. Did she get it for free? Can you ask NHS where they get it from? Perhaps, NHS might have bought used hearing aids for some people. That's something new to me, and I don't like that at all.

The National Health Service (NHS) in the UK supplies new hearing aids free of charge. At present they are fitting as many people as possible with digital hearing aids. I was recently fitted with two new digital aids and was given the instruction manual for the aids, and about 20 mins session with an audiologist on getting the best from them.

That kind of thing is - I think - a fairly normal experience for people getting hearing aids on the NHS. What Leroy describes is something very different and - indeed - worrying. I would get in touch with the audiology department at the hospital straight away and ask them for further information.

Thanks for your replies, unfortunately my Aunt was taken into hospital with a heart-attack last Tuesday.

She is doing OK and we hope to have her home shortly.

On the bright side while she is in hospital I'im going to wheel her down to the audiology dept and get this sorted out properly.

As you all have said her hearing should have been assessed and the hearing aid "fitted" to her requirements, the service recieved was very shoddy.

I did find out it is an Oticon hearing aid but I can't find out what model it is, they are very vague about details on their website and not even a manual to download :dunno:

So i'm just goin to take the bull-by-the-horns this week. :rifle: :D

Last edited:
Back