Deafness no longer a secret

gotin

Reaction score
BROWNSVILLE, Texas -- Keeping silent about something that affects every aspect of your life isn't easy, but for Maria Cardenas, it felt like the right thing to do.

"My deafness was kept kind of like a secret," Cardenas said. "It was my business and nobody else's business."

Then, University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College President Juliet Garcia announced to the graduating class that one of their own had earned a degree without special assistance, and who was deaf.

For Cardenas, a weight had been lifted.

"I felt so relieved," she said. "Now that I've come out in the open with my disabilities, I've socialized more, and I'm more open when talking to deaf people. I feel more comfortable being part of the deaf world." More...

Big smile! Thats what I m angry by forcing me not to show who i am as a Deaf person and using our hands to communicate with in ASL by audism people. I dont have to hide myself and my true identity anymore.

Thats very fact truth here..

Thank you for bringing it up.. It also makes my day :whistle: :whistle:

Sweetmind

Great article. Not only does it show that deafness shouldn't be hidden, but it proves that if there is a will, there is a way! She succeeded on her own, without any help from others - she should be incredibly proud of that!!! Hopefully though, her struggles will be less in the future.

Who is the mastermind behind DeafWiki? Step forward and reveal yourself. :thumb: How long has it existed?

I’ll be happy to do some minor editing in my spare time and start a few stubs. :)

Eh?

Of course, being deaf shouldn't be a secret. That's who you are. You don't need to go out and advertise it... but you also don't need to keep it a secret.

She said KIND OF LIKE a secret:
"My deafness was kept kind of like a secret," Cardenas said. "It was my business and nobody else's business."

It matters because it means she was not forced to keep ot secret, but because of unfamiliarity with ASL and deafness, she did not advertise it either. It was her choice.

Notice the title of the story...

Valley’s deaf culture thriving

Fuzzy

WOW, there's so much information there... one could start a topic every day.

Perhaps an idea to start a "News from DeafWIKI" forum.....

Back