Deafness in Developing Countries

rajan

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Rajan and im a first year medical student. I am about to start a module on deafness in developing countries and was wandering if anyone had any views, opinions or information that may be useful. Please dont hesistate. Thanks

Oh this is a subject I love! Developing countries, anyway. I haven't done much academic research in the way of deaf people in developing countries aside from a research paper I wrote on the socioeconomic status of deaf people a few years back. My familiarity with development economics lies in inequality and its relationship with economic growth, but bear in mind development economics is not my primary field.

If you're interested, there is a wonderful scholarly paper published just last year on whether or not inequality in a society impacts economic growth.

The paper is titled "Inequality and Growth: A Semiparametric Investigation" and was written by Dustin Chambers of Salisbury University in January 2005. I would give you the full citation, but I cannot find the paper on scholar.google.com and my notes on the paper are archived away somewhere. You should be able to find it by asking the local university librarian. That is, of course, if you're interested in the paper. ;)

I wonder if you can tie this somehow to deaf people. You might also benefit a bit more from the paper if you look up wikipedia's page on the Gini Coefficient: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

I remember reading some stuff about a year or so ago about a new signed language which is spontaneously evolving right now in Nicaragua. I’ll see if I can dig up some cites. I think somebody even started a thread about it here.

Deafness in sub-Saharan Africa

Abstract:

Deafness in sub-Saharan Africa.

Kiyaga NB, Moores DF.

Gallaudet University, Washington, DC, USA.

Deaf education in sub-Saharan Africa originated in the 19th century, primarily through efforts by hearing European missionaries who typically followed their homelands' oral-only practices. But education became available to only a fraction of the deaf population. In the 20th century, Andrew Foster, a deaf African American missionary and Gallaudet University's first African American graduate, had unparalleled impact on deaf education in the region, establishing 31 schools for the Deaf, training a generation of deaf leaders, and introducing his concept of Total Communication, which embraced both American and indigenous signs. Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda, and South Africa have provided leadership in deaf education, but throughout the region there is growing acceptance of sign language use in school, and secondary and postsecondary education for the Deaf is increasingly available. Some national constitutions safeguard the rights of citizens with disabilities and even recognize indigenous sign languages. International disability organizations, particularly the World Federation of the Deaf, have helped change attitudes and train leaders. Despite some grim present realities, prospects for continued progress are good.

What/where's the sub-Saharan region of Africa, Lev?

Tousi said:
What/where's the sub-Saharan region of Africa, Lev?

SubSaharan.jpg

Thanks, Lev; man, that's practically the whole country! What's the reason for the distinction, do you know? Sorry, off topic but we are in a lull, anyway. :lol:

This just a wild-assed guess, but it probably has something to do with climate. North Africa is probably a dry desert, and the rest of the continent is either grassland or rain forest. Despite the impression that Hollywood might convey, not all of Africa is a barren wasteland. The eastern coastal regions receive up to three feet of rainfall or more a year.

And you’re right—we are in one hell of a lull here. Somebody needs to light a fire or something. I want the old AllDeaf back. :|

Ototoxicity and Deafness in developing countries

I appreciate the help that you guys have given, especially the link for the book on Deafness in Sub-saharan Africa. I dont want to get too caught up in the definitions of a developing country (although i believe it is important that I outline what i mean by a developing country), but i do want to know about current papers, reviews and articles written about deafness in Africa, India and South America.

It has become apparent that in order to save money, ototoxic drugs are being administered to treat and defend against communicable diseases in developing countries (i.e. streptomycin) and deafness can result as a consequence. Along with a poor health infrastructure, stigmas and lack of early detection- this is a bad combination.

On the other hand........maybe deaf kids from developing countries might help preserve Deaf culture here. Like maybe if agencies started pushing adoption/immigration, more Deaf people would come here....they'd then learn ASL and deaf culture..... I do know that some dhh babies from China are being adopted by Americans.

Back