Deaf self-representation in Court

Eve

Reaction score
Is anyone here familiar with any laws regarding pro se (self) representation of deaf in court? My husband is taking his ex-wife (hearing) to court for an Order to Show Cause (basically contempt of court charges) and can't afford an attorney so he has to represent himself. As we all know, an interpreter is not enough. Since we have to keep our eyes on the terp at all times, we cant look around the courtroom and see what else we may be visually missing. A terp my interpret that words that are being spoken, but certainly not the meaning. We need someone who can take pertinent notes for us, since we can't focus on the terp and writing at the same time. It seems to me that we should be able to have someone accompany us to court, who is familiar with the case, but is this legal?

No. He should fill a report that lawyers refuse to work with him, because of his deafness.

I think pro-bono may be way too slow, esp for a routine case like this and them living in the boonies, too.LOL As for the hubby going in pro per, I hope he's done all his homework, esp if the ex from hell has a mouthpiece.

It is often said that only a fool would represent himself in court, and this is becoming more evident by the day. The problem is that there is not necessarily justice, just adhering to the laws according to the books. We are a nation indundated with laws and only the players will win. Read that as being the pros. The bastards. The scum. Those who are buried 12 feet deep because that is the only way they are good people, etcetera.

Yeh

Dude, I am going to court on June 30th for traffic violation. This is my first time going to court. However, this is my first time going. Well, this is just the beginning and I will create a new topic about it, I am not sure if I should post it in this section of the forum or on ADA section? I'll just post it here because it's obviously court matters.

SaturnOmegaX said:
Dude, I am going to court on June 30th for traffic violation. This is my first time going to court. However, this is my first time going. Well, this is just the beginning and I will create a new topic about it, I am not sure if I should post it in this section of the forum or on ADA section? I'll just post it here because it's obviously court matters.
they should provide interpreters and did polices discriminate against you, just because you are deaf?

rjr2006 said:
they should provide interpreters and did polices discriminate against you, just because you are deaf?

Well, the police never mention why he pulled me over; the police just pulled me out of the blue. I already posted my lengthy discussion under "Need some advice..." thread under ADA section of this forums. This should help you enlighten what's going on. To be concise, I was discrimnated when I took the road test; the bastard wouldn't acknowledge that I am deaf and he "fucked" me. I tried to explain the situation to the DMV and they patronized me :wtf:

So I called ADA, and then they re-directed me to Northeastern .. ehh.. dunno, and then they re-directed me to a free public lawyer that doesn't help in anyway.

I want to teach the government a lesson. A lesson that they will never forget: don't fuck around with deaf people; they're a sovereignty nation (I wish). I wish I could sue them like 3 million dollars and use that money to help other deaf people with driving issues.

Back