Deaf school help with deaf identity?

Reaction score
Do deaf school help you to find your identity as deaf person?

For me, I didn't really fully identified myself as deaf until I was 14 when I moved to Walden School treatment program from TLC. I met many deaf staff and teachers. I finally became more exposed to deaf culture because of deaf staffs there. Deaf staffs taught me new signs. And when I was growing up, I use some home signs but when I went to Walden School, I realized that I had to stop using home signs with my parents because 2 reasons...........I am growing up and if they come to visit Walden School and deaf staffs see home sign, they will think I am exposed to bad environment. Many staffs there came from parents who never learn signs. One staff's father was retired detective. I was thinking................."Father of deaf man is in law enforcement? He never learned signs? WOW!"

HappyRambo said:
And when I was growing up, I use some home signs but when I went to Walden School, I realized that I had to stop using home signs with my parents because 2 reasons...........I am growing up and if they come to visit Walden School and deaf staffs see home sign, they will think I am exposed to bad environment.

Well, how do you communicate with your parents, how's your relationship with them?

I don't think that a deaf school would help with deaf identities. I think that regular schools would. Sure, it might help you feel better quickly... but will it help you on a long run? If I grow up in a deaf institute, I would feel good about myself and feel as part of the deaf group easily. However, if I left the deaf institute and into the real world... how would I feel then? I would probably lose my identity again after having mixed thoughts among the hearies. I think it's important to be where there's everyone of all sorts. That would help you better. It might be tougher, but it's better on a long run.

Back