deaf lifestyle....

Mulak

Reaction score
Hey

I'm from ontario, canada and i'm currently at sheridan college taking business adminstration - marketing and recently getting 3.5 GPA. I was just recently thinking about life after college like a job/career path, living on my own and the whole 9 yards of life. I was wondering how is the deaf lifestyle is like? is it different?... i'm kind of nervous cause i dont know what to expect, i cant ask my mom whos a hearing person about what is deaf lifestyle.

ps: this is a pic of me

Thanks

Mulak

Attachments

• me in suit.JPG
    me in suit.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 9
:welcome: to AD and hope you will find what you need to know in here.

P.S. are you deaf or hearing? :)

Mulak said:
born profoundly deaf ....
Hi again, I am deaf too :)
There are some members in here who are also from Ontario. Maybe they can tell you where you could go to meet some deaf people in your area.

BlueButterfly said:
Hi again, I am deaf too :)
There are some members in here who are also from Ontario. Maybe they can tell you where you could go to meet some deaf people in your area.

oh ok thats great... nobody didnt asnwer my question about deaf lifestyle... is it different from hearing?

Welcome! :wave:

To answer your question, it would depend on how you look at it and where you go.

In Rochester, NY... the deaf community is great. You can go to almost any fast food resturant and expect friendly service with the deaf. You could walk through the mall and likely see someone else who's deaf as well.

Where I'm originally from... Dallas, TX... is different. Yes, we have a deaf community there... but it's spread out thin. You'll have to look hard for deaf gatherings cuz they tend to change often.

VamPyroX said:
Welcome! :wave:

To answer your question, it would depend on how you look at it and where you go.

In Rochester, NY... the deaf community is great. You can go to almost any fast food resturant and expect friendly service with the deaf. You could walk through the mall and likely see someone else who's deaf as well.

Where I'm originally from... Dallas, TX... is different. Yes, we have a deaf community there... but it's spread out thin. You'll have to look hard for deaf gatherings cuz they tend to change often.

what about work related or living on your own?

Lifestyle

i have yet to see anything that can be called deaf culture or lifestyle...and i live at gally!
i have yet to see something truly unique to "deaf culture".
someone sugested " silent diners" ....that is the samething as spanish only diner at my pals grandmoms.

G'day Mulak,
Welcome to AD. I hope you'll find the answer you're seeking and more. There's quite a few Ontarians on this site. They should be able to help you out.
By the way, I don't think deaf lifestyle differed as much as hearing. In some ways, its different because of technology we need and the fact many of us have deaf friends and go to deaf events.
Cheers! :wave:

Back