Deaf in Universities

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
Since many have asked about Gally, CSUN, RIT/NTID and so on...

What about OTHER universities that doesn't have a centralized deaf program? Who is going to where? (Community colleges excluded... i think that would start off another thread)

San Diego State University here-- second year :wave:
SDSU_3Color-large.gif

Westfield State College here! The support services here are not too impressive, but I get by just with notetakers. I wish they had C-Print here thou....that would be amazing! One of the downsides of going to a small college or a college with a small disabilty population (I am one of only about a handful of disabled kids here..Most of the kids served by the disabilty support office are LD, rather then traditionally disabled.) is that most of the disabilty services are for people with learning disabilties.

duke, princeton

i'm not yet in uni (2 years off) but just want to share something i learned. i know it might seem small and irrelevant because i haven't experienced any of this yet.. can't say if it is really true.

i'm a student in a UWC (Pearson College of the Pacific - Canada) on scholarship; i'm a (the only) profoundly deaf student. Recently representatives from Duke, Brown, and Princeton Unis visited our campus. i took the opportunity to ask if there had been successful deaf students in those unis. they didnt have much time but they told me that there are a handful, that they mostly study maths/science-related subjects (one specified engineering), and have been pretty successful esp. at Princeton! :) the Duke rep also mentioned that Duke provides a person to help the deaf student by taking notes for him/her or repeating the unheard parts of a lecture.

:)

Im currently in Bristol University in England. It's a mainstream uni, but they do have a Deaf and Disabled Access Unit in the student union building.

Im annoyed becuase I really want to meet more deaf people here but I've not met many deaf students :tears:

Raging Quiet said:
Im currently in Bristol University in England. It's a mainstream uni, but they do have a Deaf and Disabled Access Unit in the student union building.

Im annoyed becuase I really want to meet more deaf people here but I've not met many deaf students :tears:

Go outside of education institutions and hit those deaf "hangouts". They are good start to meet new friends.
My university does have a handful of deaf students but my major has defected me from socializing with them due to no classes shared or premises to bump into them. Many of them are graduates for psychology, sociology and whatnot while I am majoring in Art.
Due to lack of deafness on campus, I decided to go outside by heading to deaf hangouts and met many new friends (and a husband) and I felt it was a good way to go. I don't regret that I dont have "deaf" friends on-campus. I get the whole campus to myself! (well on the west side at least... ah long story!)

And it allows you to separate your education and fun... it is hard to be your "fun self" if you are going to your classes and you bump into your party-goer friends. Nobody likes a Dull John/Jane.

That is a good tip...thanks!

I have joined a signing society but don't know what is happening about that, I doubt there will be many deaf people there.

Just looked on the web for deaf clubs in Bristol, there's three! I'll go to all of them lol can't wait now

I'll go to NTID/RIT, then I will go to University of California, Berkeley or Gallaudet University. I can go to the School of Design & Arts when I finish both of it. :smoking: :smoking:

I might be able to go to Gallaudet University after high school(class of 2005).

i heard that gallaudet university have alot of technologies...that's so cool, trust me...

Santa Rosa Jr College here and also Ohlone College, didn't stay more than 2 yrs on both colleges... 1st one i needed a break from college 2nd one well things didn't go all that great. was a victim there. ( not going into details)

Back