Deaf/HH Nanny in Washington, DC area

straddler

Reaction score
I'm looking for work as a nanny. I'm Deaf/HH, and my "resume" is below for more information. I look forward to hearing from you!

Looking for:
 A good long-term fit with a great Deaf family or family with deaf/hh child(ren)
 30+ hr week long term position (up to Aug 09)
 Can work irregular hours, flexible schedule
 1-3 children depending on age
 Must have easy access from Silver Spring via bus/Metro (no car or license)
 Rates negotiable!

Special Skills:
 Native ASL signer with excellent English speaking skills (perfect for CODAs)
 Patience to read the same book hundreds of times without mind-numbing side effects
 I love to teach AND have fun. I see no reason why they can’t both be done at the same time, especially with the zoo and many great museums and parks available in DC for fun trips. I also love going for walks, playing dress-up and make-believe, giving piggy back rides, and decorating cupcakes :)
 Can offer housekeeping, healthy meal cooking, grocery shopping, and running errands
 CPR and first aid certified

Local Experience (References gladly provided):
 Kindergarten class intern/assistant at KDES
 Weekly volunteer tutor (for hearing child)
 Long-term babysitter
 Worked with deaf, hard-of-hearing, hearing, autistic and diabetic
 Willing to also submit to full background check, drug screen, etc

Hey, I and another couple are looking for a babysitter for a deaf 2 year old girl, hearing 2 year old boy and a hearing 6 month old baby in the Baltimore area. Will u be willing to work in the Baltimore area?

The girl and the baby are siblings and their parents are hearing but sign cuz the girl is deaf.

My son is the 2 year old and I am deaf but he is fluent in ASL.

Let me know if u can work in the Baltimore area and we can arrange to meet. :)

Fantastic! I'd hire you as a babysitter over here! Good luck and hope you find a family that you love working for! Yay!

Hi Shel90,
Are you looking for a babysitter or a full-time nanny? I live in DC and I don't have a car or license, so the commute to Baltimore would only be possible if you were near a MARC train stop. This is a lot of travel for just one babysitting job, plus I don't know exactly how long it takes to get there anyway! If you're looking for a nanny, we could discuss possible options and see if this arrangement would be feasible. What do you think?

Contact NAD, SignNews and American Society for Deaf Children. Ask if you can place a classifed ad in their respective publications. You also may want to contact the Deaf Schools and programs in your area, and ask if they could put an ad in their classroom/school newsletters.

Thank you for the suggestions! I've already contacted the NAD, American Society for Deaf Children, and the community relations dept. at Gallaudet, but no luck finding information so far. I will definitely contact SignNews and KDES about placing a classified ad. Great idea!

Hi. I am looking for a deaf nanny. Are u available? Let me know asap! This is a full time job. More details after I hear from u soon.

Back