Deaf dorm at CSUN (hearing)

signer16

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am a 4th semester ASL student at a community college. I am a senior in high school, but I take classes at the community college. (free for hs students in California, yay!) I truly have a passion for ASL, and I am dedicating myself to learning as much as possible. I go to deaf events, I am learning as much as I can about deaf culture, and I practicing signing A LOT in my free time.
Anyway, I have been accepted to CSUN as a deaf studies major for the fall semester 2005. I would like to apply to live in the deaf dorms, (deaf studies majors are allowed). What do you all suggest? Thanks for any opinions or offers you have,

Kelsey

signer16 said:
Hi everyone!
I am a 4th semester ASL student at a community college. I am a senior in high school, but I take classes at the community college. (free for hs students in California, yay!) I truly have a passion for ASL, and I am dedicating myself to learning as much as possible. I go to deaf events, I am learning as much as I can about deaf culture, and I practicing signing A LOT in my free time.
Anyway, I have been accepted to CSUN as a deaf studies major for the fall semester 2005. I would like to apply to live in the deaf dorms, (deaf studies majors are allowed). What do you all suggest? Thanks for any opinions or offers you have,

Kelsey

That is awesome!! Im CSUN alumni and lived in dorms there for 4 years. But the last time I was at CSUN was 1993 so I am sure things have changed so cant give you any recommendations but do wish you best of luck for your new journey at CSUN :)

You must be going to Pierce right now, right? I can’t think of any other community college around here that offers 4 semesters of ASL.

Why you wanna live in a deaf dorm and to be
up all in a deaf person's face???

Deaf dorm should be for the deaf people, because
they have accessories for the deaf people to use,
such as flashers, and stuff.

Last time, my hearing roommates harassed me
all the time... they would report
on me for the small bad stuff I did.

I wasn't the first deaf person they mess with,
they harassed the other deaf girl who was
so angry and move out of that dorm because
of those 2 hearing roommates, they were
bossing her around like she was a dog.

I bet that deaf roommate glad that
they had a roommate like me, because
I don't play that.

HAHA, my 2 hearing roommates moved out of that room,
I won that time!!!!! :P

I recently graduated from CSUN -- the best thing to do is to call the housing department and ask how the process works now. I don't have the phone numbers on me, but I know you can go to CSUN's website (www.csun.edu) and find the housing or residential life section. Contact them via the phone numbers there and they'll give you the answer, because their policies have changed since I left. Good luck!

Dennis said:
I recently graduated from CSUN -- the best thing to do is to call the housing department and ask how the process works now. I don't have the phone numbers on me, but I know you can go to CSUN's website (www.csun.edu) and find the housing or residential life section. Contact them via the phone numbers there and they'll give you the answer, because their policies have changed since I left. Good luck!

DENNIS!!!!!! I AM SO GLAD TO SEE YOU!!!!!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???
I THOUGHT RAVENSTEVEN OR ME SEND YOU AWAY FOREVER...
OH I AM SOOO HAPPY HAPPY... YAY!!!!!!!! :applause: ;) :thumb:

Thank you everyone for your responses. Miss Pinocchio, I especially appreciate your honesty. My goal is not to get in anyone's face, or just to rat on people. I really just want to learn ASL and to learn about deaf culture to the best of my ability, and I feel like living in a deaf dorm would help me do that. I don't want to take anyone's place, especially in the area of technology or anything else.
I know how to apply, I know what I need to do, but thanks for the help on that. Any more comments or questions or whatever please speak up.

Thanks,
Kelsey

signer16 said:
Thank you everyone for your responses. Miss Pinocchio, I especially appreciate your honesty. My goal is not to get in anyone's face, or just to rat on people. I really just want to learn ASL and to learn about deaf culture to the best of my ability, and I feel like living in a deaf dorm would help me do that. I don't want to take anyone's place, especially in the area of technology or anything else.
I know how to apply, I know what I need to do, but thanks for the help on that. Any more comments or questions or whatever please speak up.

Thanks,
Kelsey

I had a hearing roommate who majored in Deaf Studies so I had no problem with that. Not everyone has qualms about having a hearing roommate.

signer16 said:

Thanks,
Kelsey

Best way to learn about Deaf culture is when you go teach
Deaf students at mainstream schools or School for the deaf...
Some of them are wild.... you can even go to Bill Rice Ranch...
be a counselor or guidance or assistant there... because
they need help with those deaf kids there. Or you
can go to Gallaudet... you can learn a whole lot there...
You can even eat with the deaf college students there....
Chatting and having fun... watch deaf boys play football and other
sports.

signer16 said:

Thanks,
Kelsey

I've always believed the best way to learn to use ASL fluently is to socialize with the signers. Living in the deaf dorms certainly is a way of doing that, although you'll probably have to put up with the downsides of living with deaf people who may not be the most mature individuals on earth.

Go to deaf parties, deaf social events, and join deaf clubs. That will give you a far greater chance for you to use your time to improve your ASL skills.

Keep in mind, the people in the dorms are usually experiencing their first time away from home and are developing their living skills, so don't be surprised if your time with the deaf dorms creates a frustrating living situation while being a great communication situation.

Yeah That is why I think all Deaf people should stay in that dorm...
because when I had 2 hearing roommates, they were pissed
off because my loud deaf boom alarm and my loud tv and loud radio.

I am hard of hearing, I want to hear the tv.... I am sorry for
my hearing roommates complaining for the loud noise.
I was wishing that the hearing roommates would move somewhere else
and stop complaining.

Deaf roommates understand that... :dj:

And Dennis, I remember I was in one of your frat brothers' SUV....
and he played LOUD MUSIC, and I was happy that he played that
rap music, he was white.

Back