Deaf culture in wedding

cdnf

Reaction score
Hey all, i am a hearing male that is engaged to a CI female. I am trying to learn more about deaf culture and she isnt to in touch with it herself due to her mother (LOOOOOOOOONG story). Can anyone tell me any tips for a wedding that allows both the deaf (deaf/hoh/ci/ect) and the hearing enjoy it besides a interpretor. Also where do you find a interpritor (i know i cant spell)

get a minister that can sign? my minister was hearing but very proficent in signing, he has a deaf son. try looking that up and it made a huge difference with minister signing and other interpreter on hand at my wedding.

cdnf said:
thx any other ideas people

I dont know if you guys are into music but I would suggest music with BASS! Most deaf people enjoy feeling the vibrations of bass. And pass out balloons for these who can feel vibrations even more while holding onto a balloon.

Ok, i hadnt even thought about the balloon idea. Thanks. Also i keep hearing something about spinning a napkin???

hmm I had a deaf minister for our wedding. And instead of people watch our back, we turned so that we watched the audience. That way the deaf people could see our signs (and could see the pastor signs too). But our church was shaped like a fan, so we had to seat the deafies diagonally to us. But we didnt think about doing that til the night before the wedding, so we wasted money on hiring a terp for the deafies (cuz we thought the deafies wont be able to see our signs). I wish we knew that BEFORE we hired the terp. Oh well. If I confuse anybody, maybe I will have to get my wedding pics back from my mom so I can scan it and show u what I mean.

Also, I don't think this is part of deaf culture or not, but I thought this was a wonderful idea from our pastor. Instead of lighting the candles, we got a jar of dirt/sand from my house and a jar of dirt/sand from his house and poured them in together. It's like a candle cuz u can't separate fire from fire; same way u can't go thru the dirt to figure out which one was mine and which one was his and its OUR sand now. I love having our jar of sand up on the mantle to see.

I been to a deaf wedding that had a lot of culturally visual replacements for the traditionally audio events that usually happen at a wedding and reception.

Yes it's very 'visual' !

Richard

Well, I'll be attending my good mate's wedding at the end of April... he's hired a terp... so I'll tell you how it goes.

cdnf said:
Ok, i hadnt even thought about the balloon idea. Thanks. Also i keep hearing something about spinning a napkin???

Yes the best recommend, Use spinning a napkin.. Reason why you can see everyones spinning a napkin.. Perfect juciy your smoochies romantic..
You have to explain everyones, that cannot hear depends clicking on the glass... Which the best methods use... spinning napkins..

I never forget when My wedding went beautiful but tired of quite heavy smoochies... Why can't they quit spinning napkins.. Can I eat it enough ?? (chuckles)
btw, wishes you have great luck your incoming wedding!

When your wedding date set yet ? :ty:

Meg said:
I dont know if you guys are into music but I would suggest music with BASS! Most deaf people enjoy feeling the vibrations of bass. And pass out balloons for these who can feel vibrations even more while holding onto a balloon.

You need to guide us to dance to listen to the music vibration. ;) By the way, we are taking a dance lesson next month. That would be fun for us. I will make sure to not step on American Chopper's shoes. :|

our orginal date was Nov 18th but we are thinking o fchangeing that. I lost my job last OCT and am just now working again. Yall have been sooo helpful

I seen spinning napkins. Best do it at the beginning of the reception otherwise you could be slinging maybe your dentures into someone elses soup or the punch bowl.

Richard

Back