Deaf Cashiers

more the bloody reason we have delve in research and advocate to raise the public awareness profile for this whole concept of 'anti-hearing harrassing deaf/Hoh people' policys in workplaces in this date of the 'mad politically-correct' radical backdrop we're in.

i do work at food store in fl of publix i work there a year now and i doing casher and bagging and clean store when it time at 8 pm to 12 am i do running 3 thing as casher, bagging , clean but my good time i did running big machine for clean floor and crashed wines and it crashed on floor big mess but my manger were dont care about and he care about he want keep deaf work he know me that i had hard time find a job in 20 place one luck well i hope i keep do it lol but not ever crash again

i did running big machine for clean floor
You use a machine now? Boy, Publix employees are going soft! ;) My first job, after graduating from H.S., was working the 'front service' at Publix. Of course, 'front service' is nothing more than an euphemism for a debonair bag boy! :)

Oh- One of the requirements of being a bag boy at Publix is that the poor guy has to MOP the entire grocery store at closing time! You may sneer, look at the mop like it's no big thing... Trust me on this; handling a wet mop across a cavernous grocery store is strenous work. :)

Now, you've got a machine. Times sure do change.

You use a machine now? Boy, Publix employees are going soft! ;) My first job, after graduating from H.S., was working the 'front service' at Publix. Of course, 'front service' is nothing more than an euphemism for a debonair bag boy! :)

Oh- One of the requirements of being a bag boy at Publix is that the poor guy has to MOP the entire grocery store at closing time! You may sneer, look at the mop like it's no big thing... Trust me on this; handling a wet mop across a cavernous grocery store is strenous work. :)

Now, you've got a machine. Times sure do change.

we running machine to clean and 4 to 2 worker had to mop back of me becasue machine didt pick up most water casue some missed when move to right or left or all floor will slip easy so mop with water at rest lol
but i running machine almost everynigth i do done in 45 min lol

Umm, my question wasn't answered about button for help.

I have to comment that I think we have to do our job of contacting them again if they don't call you as they say they would. I think, and if that is true that they don't want a deaf person, then showing up might make you more powerful than let them call you, you know what I mean? You show them you're not weak by showing up and demanding an answer. I don't mean demand like bossy, but being assertive.

Former or Present cashiers, do you know if some places use buttons to call for help. That would be cool.

I'll answer your question, At somerfields (English food supermarket) and many other supermarkets usually have a bell you can ring for assistance, other places may have a tannoy (loudspeaker) which people on tills turn around and ask for mr.... and cashier on kisok would call for that person. However, if you were deaf and had a bitchy customer cashier on kisok would probably notice and call for supervisor straight off

Hope that helps

Here is a brief overview of a cashier and the duties involved .....

Cashier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen Deaf cashiers before. They work very hard and don't have alots of time to talk so have good manners and you can always chat with your friends who are cashiers after work like at the Deaf club things like that.

Although I never worked as a cashier.

But I recall my LOTE teacher, deaf, back in elementary school once told us a story about her experience as a cashier, and how she'd get help etc.

Her way of getting other employee or supervisor's attention was to use her fingernail and scrape it on the announcer or loudspeaker. It seems that the employees knew it was her as they hated hearing the scraping sounds, LOL.

I've been told by Walmart that I cannot work at Walmart because I am deaf.

Yeah, I know, ADA, but I didn't have the time and the energy to pursue that because I had to find a job ASAP and that was more important. And then I found 2 jobs and worked them both and had no time for the ADA stuff.

Are you serious? I work at Walmart (and to the person that typed WalFart, I love it!) and there are deaf associates. Although they do work nights when the store is closed. However, I did ask one of the ladys if she would work on days, she said she had as a cashier and didnt like it, she prefered nights. She was also telling me that many deaf people work at the walmarts in Canada

I know this post is old. But I still wanted to give out my answer for those people at this current moment who still wants to know about it. I will tell to all those deal people to apply for ANY positions. As a cashier, customer service, manager or any positions that the store has. I started as a courtesy clerk (bagger) at Winn Dixie. I love to work at Winn Dixie. I however did get bored with my job. I kept asking my manager about me trying out the cashier position. She refused because she feared that my communication with customers would be a problem. I disagreed with her. I worked with her for almost one year and we both communicate just fine. She doesn't know one sign language. We always communicated orally. And as my job, as a courtesy clerk, I communicate with customers MORE than a cashier does. Everyone who shops at Lynn Haven Winn Dixie knows me very well. They know I'm deaf. They love me. They talk to me all the time. I was a very friendly person. So after 11 months, I gave up. I kept asking for six months, asking them to give me a trial run. They still refused. So I almost quit my job. However the other Winn Dixie store offered me a promotion. So I took it immediately. Had a interview with the manager there. She loved me. She told me that she will talk to my manager and transfer me to her store. The position she offered me was Self Checkout Assoc. I was expecting cashier. But hey, Self Checkout Assoc. gets more pay rate and is higher than cashier. You have to be a cashier first to get the Self Checkout Assoc. promotion. PLUS when I started working, I got to cashier. I asked my manager nicely if she can put me on schedule as a cashier so I at least can have experience. She was fine with it. She put me on schedule with varied positions. Cashier or Self Checkout Assoc. Now I'm a service manager. It used to be called customer service lead. But BI-LO company that bought Winn Dixie fired a lot of people, eliminated positions, and renamed the positions. I automatically got promoted to service manager. I still cashier. I love my job. I have never had problem with communicating with customers. But I will admit, there are some times that I don't understand customer. When I don't, I politely apologize and inform them that I'm deaf and currently do not understand them and asked if they could write down on the paper I gave them. She had NO problem and smiled while writing down what they needed. But other than that, I'm great and happy with my job. Hearing aid really does make an improvement. I never worn them when I started working at Winn Dixie. After three months of my promotion, I decided to wear hearing aid. Hell, I'm a lot better. I'm faster and more comfortable with talking to customers. I've been working at Winn Dixie for two years! I definitely don't see myself quitting there. Even if I get new full time job, I would still work at Winn Dixie with part time job and few hours. I love being part of Winn Dixie.

I know this post is old. But I still wanted to give out my answer for those people at this current moment who still wants to know about it. I will tell to all those deal people to apply for ANY positions. As a cashier, customer service, manager or any positions that the store has. I started as a courtesy clerk (bagger) at Winn Dixie. I love to work at Winn Dixie. I however did get bored with my job. I kept asking my manager about me trying out the cashier position. She refused because she feared that my communication with customers would be a problem. I disagreed with her. I worked with her for almost one year and we both communicate just fine. She doesn't know one sign language. We always communicated orally. And as my job, as a courtesy clerk, I communicate with customers MORE than a cashier does. Everyone who shops at Lynn Haven Winn Dixie knows me very well. They know I'm deaf. They love me. They talk to me all the time. I was a very friendly person. So after 11 months, I gave up. I kept asking for six months, asking them to give me a trial run. They still refused. So I almost quit my job. However the other Winn Dixie store offered me a promotion. So I took it immediately. Had a interview with the manager there. She loved me. She told me that she will talk to my manager and transfer me to her store. The position she offered me was Self Checkout Assoc. I was expecting cashier. But hey, Self Checkout Assoc. gets more pay rate and is higher than cashier. You have to be a cashier first to get the Self Checkout Assoc. promotion. PLUS when I started working, I got to cashier. I asked my manager nicely if she can put me on schedule as a cashier so I at least can have experience. She was fine with it. She put me on schedule with varied positions. Cashier or Self Checkout Assoc. Now I'm a service manager. It used to be called customer service lead. But BI-LO company that bought Winn Dixie fired a lot of people, eliminated positions, and renamed the positions. I automatically got promoted to service manager. I still cashier. I love my job. I have never had problem with communicating with customers. But I will admit, there are some times that I don't understand customer. When I don't, I politely apologize and inform them that I'm deaf and currently do not understand them and asked if they could write down on the paper I gave them. She had NO problem and smiled while writing down what they needed. But other than that, I'm great and happy with my job. Hearing aid really does make an improvement. I never worn them when I started working at Winn Dixie. After three months of my promotion, I decided to wear hearing aid. Hell, I'm a lot better. I'm faster and more comfortable with talking to customers. I've been working at Winn Dixie for two years! I definitely don't see myself quitting there. Even if I get new full time job, I would still work at Winn Dixie with part time job and few hours. I love being part of Winn Dixie.
Yeah. Sometimes, we go through a lot before we can get promoted or get positions we want... due to higher-ups thinking we can't do it.

I had that problem when I was a bagger in high school. I wanted to be cashier or stocker, but manager said I wasn't ready. After 6 months of proving myself, the manager thought I was ready. Before he could put in the paperwork, he got transfered. So, a new manager came in knowing nothing of my promotion plans. So, it was back to square one for the new manager. I spent another 6 months trying to prove myself. Again, he thought I was ready... but transfered before he could process the paperwork. This kept happening... so I quit and got a better job elsewhere.

Back