Deaf 7-Eleven manager who was fired awarded $934,000 in discrimination suit

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Jim Soliday is deaf, but the 58-year-old Naples man was able to supervise nearly a dozen 7-Eleven stores because he had a system that worked.

He read lips. He used a fax machine to transfer and review data. And he used text pagers to communicate with managers, field consultants, market managers and headquarters.

But his 26-year 7-Eleven career ended three years ago when a new boss arrived and put an end to Soliday's system.

Without texts and faxes, he couldn't do his job and was soon fired. He sued, alleging that violated the Florida Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Thursday night, after deliberating for over three hours, a U.S. District Court jury in Fort Myers agreed 7-Eleven unreasonably refused accommodate Soliday, as required by law, and fired him due to his disability.

They awarded him $178,000 for lost wages and benefits and $756,000 for emotional pain and suffering.

When Soliday read the clerk's lips as she announced the verdict, tears welled in his eyes.

Soliday's attorney, Darrin Phillips of Naples, said Soliday felt vindicated.

*Read more....*

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crime/former-7-eleven-manager-awarded-934k-discriminatio

Amazing how dense people can be. Glad he won and hope the appeal doesn't happen.

7 Eleven makes me sick...I stopped going there and Dunkin Donuts in town because no one ever speaks English...and they fire a guy that CAN communicate with customers and crew? I hope more past employees get brave and sue...couldn't happen to a more deserving establishment.

Laura

Back