Cop apologizes for being caught on tape pushing disabled woman to ground

yizuman

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVeLXWbA4Wc]YouTube - Hastings Street, Vancouver, Canada on June 9, 2010 at 3:30 p.m.[/ame]

VANCOUVER—A Vancouver police officer has apologized after he was caught on video tape pushing a woman with multiple sclerosis down to the ground in the one of the country’s poorest neighbourhoods.

The 65-second video was uploaded to the web Thursday by the B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

It shows the 26-year-old disabled woman trying to weave her way through three male officers on a busy Downtown Eastside street last month.

One of the officers then appears to shove the woman to the ground, before walking away. The two other officers do not intervene.

“It’s not a particularly inspiring view of how policing should be done in the Downtown Eastside,” David Eby, executive director of the civil liberties group, said in an interview.

Eby said it’s hard to imagine the incident would have taken place in any other neighbourhood in the city.

“The pattern of use of force that we’re seeing tends to be focused in the 10 blocks of the Downtown Eastside,” he said.

The civil liberties association released a video earlier this month that raised questions about the arrest of a homeless Sudanese refugee within the Downtown Eastside. The force said the man tried to take an officer’s gun, but the association said he was only trying to push police away as they continuously kneed him.

The group filed a formal complaint in the case.

Eby said the group was then contacted by an advocate working with the woman last week and within days received the video, shot from a camera stationed at a nearby hotel. The incident occurred June 9.

Vancouver police held a press conference Thursday afternoon, a few hours after the video was made public.

Const. Jana McGuinness, the force’s spokeswoman, said the officer involved reported the incident to his supervisor the same day it occurred.

The department’s professional standards section then launched an investigation and notified the B.C. Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner.

McGuinness said the beat patrol officer, who’s been with the force since March 2009, apologized to the woman soon after.

“He did offer a genuine apology and he felt bad,” she said. “He regretted the incident and acknowledged the inaction after the incident when he did not offer her care.”

The officer is still on full duty pending the outcome of the internal investigation.

She said the video was obtained by an investigating officer within a couple of days of the incident but was not made public.

McGuinness said the force chose to comment once it was released by the civil liberties association because it will cause concern for many who view it.

“The VPD takes its responsibility for the safety of the residents of the Downtown Eastside very seriously,” she said. “If this incident has in any way caused the public to be concerned about our commitment to helping and serving the people of the Downtown Eastside, we are deeply sorry.”

Source: Vancouver cop apologizes for pushing disabled woman - thestar.com

What the heck is the cop's problem shoving a disabled woman like that?

Yiz

Well this is interesting. I wouldn't have been surprised to see this happen in America, our cops being worthless goons for the most part, but BC? Hey Canada, whatsup, eh?

If you watch closely when he pushes you can tell he puts his weight into it since he brings his other leg back and looks like hes leaning into the push on one leg.

Is it a bad thing that I am shrugging it off? The sad thing is that how even regular Canadians treat drug-addicts and homeless in other cities as well.

I do agree, morally, and consciously, that is wrong and that it is unacceptable; however watching the clip doesn't anger me for some reason. :hmm:

Is it a bad thing that I am shrugging it off? The sad thing is that how even regular Canadians treat drug-addicts and homeless in other cities as well.

I do agree, morally, and consciously, that is wrong and that it is unacceptable; however watching the clip doesn't anger me for some reason. :hmm:

Guess cause you are getting used to people being rude and uncaring now a days. Kinda sad considering that in order to get used to it, has to happen a good amount.

Guess cause you are getting used to people being rude and uncaring now a days. Kinda sad considering that in order to get used to it, has to happen a good amount.

All it takes to at least slow down the dehumanizing is for just ONE person to call attention to it. Pretty sad, yeah.

Well this is interesting. I wouldn't have been surprised to see this happen in America, our cops being worthless goons for the most part, but BC? Hey Canada, whatsup, eh?

Say what? Our cops are wothless goons!!!! Why dont you pull up some videos of the WTC on 9/11 and see what these "goons" were doing. Why dont you do a little reshearch and see how many of these "goons" have been killed on active duty. This month three have been killed here in Houston while just writing tickets on the side of the roads. When you or a loved one really need help it only then you wont say "Hey, you goon" but will say "Thank you so much for your help and bravery".

Say what? Our cops are wothless goons!!!! Why dont you pull up some videos of the WTC on 9/11 and see what these "goons" were doing. Why dont you do a little reshearch and see how many of these "goons" have been killed on active duty. This month three have been killed here in Houston while just writing tickets on the side of the roads. When you or a loved one really need help it only then you wont say "Hey, you goon" but will say "Thank you so much for your help and bravery".

Oh, sorry I missed this little nugget.

Hey rolling7, kindly do not address me on this forum anymore. I have no time to waste on incoherent, intolerant bigots like yourself.

that area of vancouver has always been grungy. lots of dope and homeless people. there are shops there where you can smoke pot so that shows what kind of people hang around. it is bad since the area itself is real nice along the harbour.
it is not all cops that are bad. but there are always bad cops

Wirelessly posted

TheWriteAlex said:

Oh, sorry I missed this little nugget.

Hey rolling7, kindly do not address me on this forum anymore. I have no time to waste on incoherent, intolerant bigots like yourself.

Want some leftover crack, Alex?

What a f***King ass hole! Some one should push him over with a truck and see how he like it. Did you see the size of the cop , I hope he get the crap beaten out of him one day.

Wirelessly posted

Want some leftover crack, Alex?

Is this the place for the free crack giveaway???

DC-freecrack.jpg

*Image of Dave Chapelle's character, Tyrone Biggums, with lips covered in white powder and holding up a pamphlet that says "Free Crack Giveaway"*

red cap ctackhead

That's the guy who gets the cops in a bad mood. Always in the gaslight district trash talking with the local LE

Back