Comparison with original hearing with CI

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
We went to Rehab./Spa clinic in Bad Grönenbach for BBQ party/festival last Saturday. It’s lovely time and met many CI users around, also deafies, HOH and tinnitus, too. I collect a lot of experiences from them.

The doctor made interesting leisure over CI issues and show us kind material CI that it’s better modern etc. Other CI user who lost hearing to deaf was there. After finish leisure, he asked us for the feedback with any questions. I was surprised that the doctor denied CI user’s question over his experience as original hearing with CI etc. He denied him and look for other questions from people. I was like :eek: because I like to be curious what the doctor answer his question over the comparison between hearing and CI. Few minutes later he tried again but still the same.

I had to do something for him to get the doctor to response CI user’s question properly. I got Doctor’s attention that I want some question. Doctor pointed me and expect something question different from me but I told him that I would be grateful when he response CI user’s question over comparison clearly because I can’t follow his answer on him. I can say thru his frown impression that he doesn’t like to give answer on that question.

The doctor denied again and said that it’s complication to answer to this question and want to have his time to talk him alone. I was like :eek: Why can’t he answer to this question over comparison? What CI user does is shake the head.

Ha, Ha, Ha, I said to myself that I KNEW that I rather listen CI user’s side than listen Doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because it’s them who wear CI rest of their life and share their feelings/experience with us.

Anyway, the physical therapist was there, to answered CI user’s question property that yes; it’s different as original hearing. Physical therapist described that CI as “technique sound”, not same as original hearing. I’m satisfied with that honest answer. :)

I am wondering why the doctor deny those question?

I guess it would be a complicated question for the doctor to answer as there is no simple answer. I can vouch for this as one who has a CI himself.

However, I'm surprised with his response to the CI's question. I find that very interesting as that is one of the most common questions that is asked by folks on both sides of the fence. For those who are considering a CI, it is an important point as one is trying to gather all the information as possible. For those who have received them, you wonder alot about as it is human nature. The CI users who had hearing prior to the CI remember how things sounded before and they have a basis for comparison. Unfortunately, that comparison is very subjective since one has begun the process already adapting to the "new" way of hearing.

The simple answer to the question is that it is not the same. I knew that from the start of the process from learing how to use it. I had to adjust right off the bat. Obviously, if it were the same, the adjustment period would be trivial for those who had hearing previously. As I understand it, the CI electrically fires to certain strategic points on the cochlear wall to "stimulate" electrical impulses as if coming from sounds (the normal way) as much as it is possible. Voice is the main focus of a CI for obvious reasons and it does that rather well (I can attest to that! :thumb: ). It has a much harder time stimulating music for different reasons. Music is extremely dynamic and it is analog in nature...not an easy task by any means especially in a very small "processor". For me music sounds quite good but I can tell there are "gaps" but not enough to bother me. I suspect the more I listen the better it will get. I understand that a CI can only go as low as 200db and as high as about 10,000/11,000db. Most normal hearing folks hear between 20db to 20,000db (probably most folks especially who are older than 20 don't hear that high for a variety of reasons ;) ) which is a extremely dynamic range but the CI is no slouch but the technology is just not quite there yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving every minute of what it can provide for me and I'm under no illusions that I "have" normal hearing. This is another way of saying you can adapt to anything or almost anything and call it normal. That option may come in the near future but for now I'm very happy.

Well it seems like some of the more eager doctors are almost selling the CI....

Deafdyke,

I can see where you are coming from. You are hitting a gray area with CIs. They do offer much hope and promise to people. Unfortunately, no one can with 100% accuracy predict how well somebody will do after getting the CI.

As for the doctors, I agree some are skirting the fine line between considering the patient's best interest and the bottom line which is very unfortunate. It is not only with CIs is this a problem in the medical world....

Back