Cochlear Implants and famous people...

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
Somebody has recently posted about Lou Ferrigno,
which made me think how come these deaf and hoh celebrities seem to be so not interested in CI?
Only one actress from Guiding Light, Amy Ecklund seem to be taking an advantage of being implanted.

HOW COME not others?
These people certainly can afford the best of technology and medical care?

I've tried to research celebrities/famous/CI and the likes, but only found out about Marlee Matlin that she doesn't feel she need it..

Does anybody knows about some links or whatever that would shed a light??

Fuzzy

Well Heather Whitestone McCallum did get it, and I think that Curtis Pride said he's interested in getting one....after he finishes with his baseball career.
Besides, a lot of dhh celebs may have had enough residual hearing to get along with just hearing aids alone.

Getting a CI is a very personal decision.. even with all their money, some celebs may prefer not to get CI's due to feeling a certain amount of pride at having "made it" in a nearly impenetrable Hollywood world (for anybody) as Deaf/HH people.

Personally, I have the CI and love it, but I'm also glad that there are prominent celebs out there who choose not to get it... it sends a good image to clueless hearies out there that Deaf people CAN be very successful just as they are... DEAF! There's already too many hearies out there who get the wrong idea about CI's and think..... "awww, how wunnerful.... why don't all deaf ppl get em'??"

Whether or not a Deaf person chooses to get a CI or NOT, more power to them in whatever they do!

:scatter:

Personally, I have the CI and love it, but I'm also glad that there are prominent celebs out there who choose not to get it... it sends a good image to clueless hearies out there that Deaf people CAN be very successful just as they are... DEAF! There's already too many hearies out there who get the wrong idea about CI's and think..... "awww, how wunnerful.... why don't all deaf ppl get em'??"
EXCELLENT POSTING!!!!!!

There's already too many hearies out there who get the wrong idea about CI's and think..... "awww, how wunnerful.... why don't all deaf ppl get em'??"

Yes that true- personally I don't give damn about what they think. CI - to have it or not would be my and only my decision, looked upon from my point of view. (I choose not to)

But the thing about CI is - you can have it, and still be DEAF, and belong to deaf culture. Except that you can hear better - and that would be very helpful for these busy celberities, don't you think so? for anyone, for that matter.
Lou Ferrigno said he often have to make phone calls from his car and he's very happy that he can understand over the phone. That is just an example..

Fuzzy

"But the thing about CI is - you can have it, and still be DEAF, and belong to deaf culture. Except that you can hear better - and that would be very helpful for these busy celberities, don't you think so? for anyone, for that matter."

Yah, I agree with you totally... you can still be DEAF while having a CI... and I agree that we should not care what anyone else thinks, hearing or otherwise, about our decisions to get a CI or not. HOWEVER, the majority of hearing ppl out there really don't know much about the CI.. and view it as a "cure" for deafness.. I don't want to generalize or anything, but some might get the wrong impression that because Deaf celebs are starting to get CI's, that it is a blanket solution for everyone.. I can't begin to tell you how many hearing ppl I've met who assume that because I have a CI and do well with it, that their Deaf friend/relative/child should get one too.

I would think that anyone who wanted one and had the money or insurance coverage to do so should go for it by all means... More power to those celebs who chose to get one.. I'm sure it will in many ways make their jobs easier and communication more smooth with directors, etc..but I'm still happy that some Celebs choose to forgo the CI... they're sending the message across that hearing isn't everything, that their talent is first and foremost. In Hollywood, of all places, that message is so desperately needed.

:grouphug:

I see your point and agree with it.
It's indeed very lucky that some of the deaf celebrities are not thinking of CI and by this are an example that deafness is a perfectly good way to live one life.

I don't want to generalize or anything, but some might get the wrong impression that because Deaf celebs are starting to get CI's,

I understand that too, of course but I think you'll agree with me when I say that celebrities shold not care about that when contemplating having CI.

Fuzzy

Maybe they've decided that instead of doing the famous person route, they'll do the "ordinary people" as advocates route. Thank GAWD none of the famous people are as extreme or Asperger Syndromey as some of the ordinary advocates.....

Back