Clueless!

julysrain

Reaction score
Help!

I'm Clueless.

I'm getting hearing aids later in the summer - my tests aren't scheduled until early August because of my classes. I had one recent audiogram done and consultation already.

I have a moderate sensorineural (spelling of that is probably wrong?) hearing loss in each ear that is progressive, cause still unknown (will hopefully be known after more tests!) but at 40 db loss right now doctor thinks will be at 65+ db loss within 10 years at most, how he knows this I dont know because he said hes not sure of the cause of the hearing loss. But hes the second doctor to say it so I guess I should just stick with him!

What kind of hearing aids am I likely going to get? Do they tell you what to get or do you choose? How well do they work? Is there still a problem with distinguishing background noise from people speaking?

Help, please! Thank you :ty:

Hearing aids are something you really gotta experiment with, to see what the best ones are for your particualr loss....Just a word of advice, don't buy into the cosmetic concerns...start out with a BTE analog and THEN experiment.
Hey...BTes aren't THAT noticable...at least they aren't body worn aids or ear horns! If a doc is pushing the baby aids...run away from them. The baby aids (smaller then BTEs) generally can't amplify as well as the BTEs...you may be able to hear with ITEs but not as well as you could with BTEs...learned that one the hard way!

deafdyke said:
Hearing aids are something you really gotta experiment with, to see what the best ones are for your particualr loss....Just a word of advice, don't buy into the cosmetic concerns...start out with a BTE analog and THEN experiment.
Hey...BTes aren't THAT noticable...at least they aren't body worn aids or ear horns! If a doc is pushing the baby aids...run away from them. The baby aids (smaller then BTEs) generally can't amplify as well as the BTEs...you may be able to hear with ITEs but not as well as you could with BTEs...learned that one the hard way!

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. Hehe I want one of those ear horns, like you see in old movies. Those are pretty cool :eek: He hasn't talked to me about any types yet said for me to wait until my next appointment so for now I just wait! My hair covers my ears anyway and if he tries to use cosmetic reasons I'll just tell him that doesn't matter. :fly2: I do want what works best, and I appreciate learning from your experience :)

Do the BTE aids get in the way like if I were to try to pull back my hair in a ponytail? What about rain, would it hurt them? Clueless again :)

Nah, BTEs don't really get in the way...I had long hair for years and years ...can't remmy any problems with that. As for brands to try...try Phonaks or Oticons...they RAWK!!!!...maybe even get them in your favorite color to be cool!

I agree with deafdyke's advice 100%. When I received my first pair of HAs at age 15 for a moderately-severe loss, I was given BTE aids. My audi didn't mention anything to me about CICs (completely in the canal) or ITEs (in the ear). I'm glad she didn't because when my hearing became worse over the years I was still able to continue using the same HAs. I could also take advantage of T-coil, direct audio input and FM system technology. Besides that, it would have been a difficult (if not impossible) task to try and get me to wear BTEs when CICs and ITEs no longer worked. I think the path to better hearing (and acceptance of my loss) was made easier because I wore BTE aids right from the start.

deafdyke said:
Nah, BTEs don't really get in the way...I had long hair for years and years ...can't remmy any problems with that. As for brands to try...try Phonaks or Oticons...they RAWK!!!!...maybe even get them in your favorite color to be cool!

Thanks! I looked up the oticon website and I want purple! Those are cool!

Now I know something going in to the appointment and I feel better. Feeling clueless isn't fun!

:dance2:

Hear Again said:
I agree with deafdyke's advice 100%. When I received my first pair of HAs at age 15 for a moderately-severe loss, I was given BTE aids. My audi didn't mention anything to me about CICs (completely in the canal) or ITEs (in the ear). I'm glad she didn't because when my hearing became worse over the years I was still able to continue using the same HAs. I could also take advantage of T-coil, direct audio input and FM system technology. Besides that, it would have been a difficult (if not impossible) task to try and get me to wear BTEs when CICs and ITEs no longer worked. I think the path to better hearing (and acceptance of my loss) was made easier because I wore BTE aids right from the start.

Thanks! i think I'm gonna try to go for the BTE ones I don't know how long the smaller ones would work cuz my loss is progressing (they can tell me that but not what its from...) and that's cool that you can use them with different stuff. Plus like deafdyke said they come in colors and I always like that LOL

Thanks! :wave:

julysrain: Glad I could help! :) Let us know what color you pick! <smile> Me? I'm still stuck with beige. :( LOL!

deafdyke said:

I agree with Deafdyke. :) I've always worn BTEs, and unless I ask hearing people to repeat (which tells them that someone has a hearing loss), they never noticed I am wearing hearing aids at first. :) I have medium to long length hair so that helps too. :)
Oticons is one of the best kinds of hearing aids, in fact, I am wearing one right now. :) I am getting a new Oticon programmable aid later this month (for my right ear), along with my Oticon analog I am switching to for my left ear. :) I've had this Oticon analog BTE since 2000 and it still works like a charm. :)

Clueless .... I thought someone was talking about me. (ain't that the truth, though!) anyway, I guess hearing aids don't work for those who are profoundly totally deaf, they only work for those who have residual hearing, unless I'm really clueless.

LM60CT: Some profoundly deaf people *can* benefit from BTEs or a body aid depending on what their aided hearing is. Some profoundly deaf people may have a 90 dB loss, but with hearing aids, are able to understand speech with an FM system or ALD.

If you are completely deaf, then you obviously won't benefit from a hearing aid or FM system.

I've had severe-profound hearing loss for the past 10 years. I was able to use an FM system/assistive listening device until 2-3 years ago when I lost what speech discrimination I had in my right ear. (My left ear has had no speech discrimination for the past 10 years.)

I now have a CI in my left ear and wear a hearing aid in my right ear.

I lost my hearing totally at age 7 after becoming ill with spinal meningitis. It's gone completely. I wore hearing aids as a child, but they didn't work for me. It's been over 35 years since I even came close to a hearing aid. So, color me clueless on this subject. Time to do some homework, perhaps.

Thanks for sharing your hearing history background. :) I know what you mean about trying to keep up with technology. I've been wearing hearing aids for over 20 years and I'm *still* not sure I understand everything I should about them. <grin> Hearing aid technology changes at the blink of an eye and I'm forever trying to play catch-up. LOL!

Hear Again said:

Yup!! I totally agree!!!! Julysrain you have the same hearing loss as me, sensoneurial, so ITE's and CIC's won't work at all. You'll likely be given BTE's (that's what i wear) and they work amazing!! B/c sensoneurial loss is nerve damage, ITE's and CIC's can't amply sound enough in order for you to distinguish what sounds are, it won't do anything, so BTE's are best. I wear SensoDiva and Unitron Unison ( i got them 5 years apart) adn they work amazing. I'm 19 btw, and my loss is 50-70dbs. Your aids will work wonders for you, and don't worry about wearing your hair back they dont' get in the way, neither do they get in the way with rain, just don't get them soaked. :fingersx:

Hear Again said:
julysrain: Glad I could help! :) Let us know what color you pick! <smile> Me? I'm still stuck with beige. :( LOL!

me too!!!! Let's cry together.....

I WANT COLOUR DAMNITT!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started, Deafdyke will have to restrain me.*screams*

*dreams of purple*

Breezy: <sniffle, sniffle> Hey, does anyone want to trade one of their colored BTEs for a beige Oticon 380P? No? I didn't think so. LOL! :) I'm also dreaming of purple or blue or yellow... <sigh> LOL!

Well perhaps in a few years beige aids will be out the window!!!
Julysrain you have the same hearing loss as me, sensoneurial, so ITE's and CIC's won't work at all. You'll likely be given BTE's (that's what i wear) and they work amazing!! B/c sensoneurial loss is nerve damage, ITE's and CIC's can't amply sound enough in order for you to distinguish what sounds are, it won't do anything, so BTE's are best
Bree, actually correction. ITE, and CICs can amplifiy sound but don't have enough power for more then mild losses....of both SN and conductive types!
The best amplifcation are BTEs!

Back