CIT helps deaf man to complete degree

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
CIT helps deaf man to complete degree - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 17, 2008

A DEAF student has paid tribute to Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) for helping him to complete a degree in construction management, which has led him to managing a £9 million (€10.5 million) project in the UK.

A first-class honours degree in Construction Management was conferred on Eoin Burns (24), from Westgate in Bishopstown, Cork, adding to the BEng in Civil Engineering he completed in 2006.

Mr Burns, who spent five years at CIT, was assisted through the institute's Access for Disabled Students programme whereby Notetaking Solutions, a company operated by Rose Quilter and Liz O'Sullivan, helped him take notes during his lectures.

"It has been tough going but I had fantastic support and help from the lecturers in CIT and the staff from Notetaking Solutions. I have tremendously enjoyed the quality education and help from CIT over the years for which I will be forever grateful," he said.

"I'm now the assistant construction manager at a £9 million regeneration project at Plaistow in east London so I feel that I am proof that anyone can do it - and CIT comes with a great social life where I enjoyed the craic with my class," he said.

Student services officer at CIT, Fiona Kelly, said that access for disabled students had improved exponentially and that the institute was particularly proud of Mr Burns's achievements.

"We strive to provide supports for students with disabilities. By being able to provide these supports it means that it is possible for students to achieve to the highest level," she said.

Mr Burns was one of more than 1,000 students to graduate from CIT this month. CIT president Dr Brendan Murphy said "CIT continues to be student-centred, driven by excellence in teaching, learning, innovation and research and will also continue to be industry and career focused."

Back