CI to iPod—Doable?

Levonian

Reaction score
Quick question here—I want to get a 60 GB iPod, and Mayflower wants to know if she can plug her CI directly into it. The guy at the Apple store didn’t have a clue—he didn’t even know what a cochlear implant was. :roll: Has anybody had any luck plugging a Nucleus 24 directly into an iPod?

Someone told me about that...he said he did plug it into his CI (Freedom) and sound sooo beautiful!!! I don't know if I'll be quafliy for CI. I am in processing right now. I am going in for Cat Scan next week on 25th I think. (sorry it went off topic :) )

Anyway maybe she can ask her audiogolist and see what she/he says?
Also maybe she may read CI booklet and may tell what it says?

Levonian said:
Quick question here—I want to get a 60 GB iPod, and Mayflower wants to know if she can plug her CI directly into it. The guy at the Apple store didn’t have a clue—he didn’t even know what a cochlear implant was. :roll: Has anybody had any luck plugging a Nucleus 24 directly into an iPod?

Depends on the connection. I tend to use my body processor for when I want to connect to music from an MP3 player or from a Gameboy. I use a male to male 3.5mm jack connection.

My BTE is a bit more fussy as I have to switch out the part of the device that hooks onto my ear, so I don't use it as much.

I would also have to think impedence would play a role in this possibility, such as if the CI has a low enough impedence.

I am sure that your audiologist has a special wire for your iPod. I think that you have to be careful adjusts your iPod's volume because I read the newspaper that the iPod's volume is powerful.

I have the wire for my hobby metal detector to hook up my hearing aids. The wire that I bought at a hearing aid shop is expensive - 60 dollars. Of course, it is ripoff, and I needed it. I also bought an adaptor for my metal detecting wire at Radioshack.

Maybe, you want to start with Radioshack to see if they have the wire for your CI because it is cheaper than buying one at the hearing aid shop.

webexplorer said:
I am sure that your audiologist has a special wire for your iPod. I think that you have to be careful adjusts your iPod's volume because I read the newspaper that the iPod's volume is powerful.

I have the wire for my hobby metal detector to hook up my hearing aids. The wire that I bought at a hearing aid shop is expensive - 60 dollars. Of course, it is ripoff, and I needed it. I also bought an adaptor for my metal detecting wire at Radioshack.

Maybe, you want to start with Radioshack to see if they have the wire for your CI because it is cheaper than buying one at the hearing aid shop.

Not necessarily true. It's volume is comparable to any other portable audio player. But if you're in a noisy area, turning up the iPod's volume won't help much as it begins to distort when you get to about 75-80 percent.

Doesn't plugging in your CI to a foreign device void the warranty?

apathrev said:
No, you're thinking of marriage.

OMG! Good one!

Vamp, no, actually, my audiologist recommended never to plug in my implant to a wall-plugged electronic device -- i.e., do NOT plug in my implant to my computer's speaker-out jacks. THAT would make it possible for there to be any kind of overload or power surge that absolutely would cook my external sensitive implant equipment (i.e., my processor, not the stuff that's in my head).

However, battery powered devices, such as gameboys, cell phones, MP3 players, portable CD players, laptop computers, and portable DVD players were a-okay. The batteries don't push out enough oomph to really overwhelm the electronics, though it still carries a risk.

I'm still looking for any kind of audio cable that has some kind of fuse or surge protection on it, but I don't think it's actually made by anyone, I've been told that the wattage/amperage isn't enough to warrant it.

I use a personal audo cable that plugs into my Freedom when I use my iRiver mp3 player and it is absolutely fantastic! The clarity is unbelievable. There is also a tv/stereo jack you can get which has a built in "surge" protector.

Back