CI in both ears??

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
Does anyone have both ears implanted with CI and if yes, is it better than with just one?
I suppose it is?

Fuzzy

Bilateral implants are pretty rare. It could be b/c of health insurance issues, the fact that hearing levels can be uneven in different ears and so on.

Its very rare.. for me i rather not get CI in both ears.. because what if 5 or 10 years later there's a new tech.. so i rather wait for this. Also almost always insurance refuse cover bilateral CI. most bilateral CI people are very lucky.. they are either RICH or their insurance are excellent.... in my personal believe its a good benifit.. just like wearing 2 hearing aids instead of 1.. anyways....

My surgeon said i could have another c.i. without me even asking but nah i'd rather wait for new technology or just might not bother if 1 c.i. will suffice

Like what I said in some threads that my hubby met CI people in Rehab. clinic last April 2005.

He told me that some of CI users have both, others only one and only one person who wear CI and one HA on both ears.

Thanks.
I think the main reason against implanting two is wating for better technology, and the money.
I thought about uneven hearing level in both ears- but so what, we often have two HAs in uneven loss anyway.

I think having two CI would be better than one but I understand some people feel one is enough.

About better technology- can't you just have the old one removed and implant new one?

Sure it means more surgery but considering the surgery and post-op takes what- months? and the CI is implanted for at least e few years??
I would say it would be worth it.

Fuzzy

An older CI can't be explanted unless there is a medical reason for doing so -- or unless someone has $50,000 insurance coverage/funding for the surgery. I plan on going bilateral at some point, but was told getting insurance approval will be an uphill battle. Some insurance carriers will not pay for bilaterals while others will. As for how long a CI works, I know someone who has had their CI for 21 years and it's still working perfectly. Other people I know have had their CI for 17-18 years, so they do last considerably longer than a few years.

no. I never wear on CI before. I wont wear it will kill me. I am still using my hearing aid. I can hear alot of sound and noisy everywhere.

>>>>I wont wear it will kill me.<<<<

Why would it kill you ????

Fuzzy

Er...getting back on topic...

It is my understanding as several have mentioned that it really depends if your insurance will cover it (or you have lots of money) and if you could use two CIs. In my case, my left ear prognosis was lousy and not worth the risk while my right was perfect for it. So, I got one for my right ear and it works great for me. I'm so used to hearing in just one ear anyway so I don't know if I'm missing anything anyway... :mrgreen:

I do know of one person who managed to get two. She got one the normal way and the second by agreeing to be in a special study for one of the companies. In her case, it was a great way to do it.

Back