CI ... *and* Residual Hearing

ismi

Reaction score
I've been sort of on the borderline for a while where hearing aids are useful, but I can't get much more gain out of them, so I'd sort of been thinking about CIs as a "maybe someday I'll need one" thing. Then I got mastoiditis; I went in for a mastoidectomy earlier this week, and while the hope is that there won't be much long-term damage to my hearing, the possibility is there.

So my audiologist gave me a brochure about a new CI study being done (we're going to talk in more detail in a few months, once my ears have cleared up and I can get a hearing test done). Apparently, Cochlear Corp is marketing what they're calling "Nucleus (R) Hybrid Hearing Technology". It seems that cochlear implantation doesn't damage residual hearing as much as they thought (or at least, they've come up with ways to do the implantation so it doesn't), and so they're doing a study on combined use of a CI and hearing-aid style amplification of your residual hearing.

I'm not clear on all the details - all I have at the moment is the "candidacy brochure" - and it seems kind of odd how they describe it (a CI and an ITE - not just a CI with an earmold attached to the BTE as I would have thought). They seem to be marketing it towards people with severe to profound loss above 1500 Hz, and "near normal" (from the chart, normal to mild/moderate loss) below that frequency. I don't fall into that category, so I'm wondering why my audi gave me this brochure (we haven't discussed it yet). I guess I'll find that out later.

Has anyone else heard about this study? Is it the result of a new technique or device, or is it just a new way of using a CI?

ismi said:
I've been sort of on the borderline for a while where hearing aids are useful, but I can't get much more gain out of them, so I'd sort of been thinking about CIs as a "maybe someday I'll need one" thing. Then I got mastoiditis; I went in for a mastoidectomy earlier this week, and while the hope is that there won't be much long-term damage to my hearing, the possibility is there.

So my audiologist gave me a brochure about a new CI study being done (we're going to talk in more detail in a few months, once my ears have cleared up and I can get a hearing test done). Apparently, Cochlear Corp is marketing what they're calling "Nucleus (R) Hybrid Hearing Technology". It seems that cochlear implantation doesn't damage residual hearing as much as they thought (or at least, they've come up with ways to do the implantation so it doesn't), and so they're doing a study on combined use of a CI and hearing-aid style amplification of your residual hearing.

I'm not clear on all the details - all I have at the moment is the "candidacy brochure" - and it seems kind of odd how they describe it (a CI and an ITE - not just a CI with an earmold attached to the BTE as I would have thought). They seem to be marketing it towards people with severe to profound loss above 1500 Hz, and "near normal" (from the chart, normal to mild/moderate loss) below that frequency. I don't fall into that category, so I'm wondering why my audi gave me this brochure (we haven't discussed it yet). I guess I'll find that out later.

Has anyone else heard about this study? Is it the result of a new technique or device, or is it just a new way of using a CI?

where did you read this ?? If there is a link please PM me I would like to know more about it :)

no I've not heard anything about it. I have the Freedom, but zero residual hearing in my implanted ear.

Cassbugs said:
where did you read this ?? If there is a link please PM me I would like to know more about it :)

I got the brochure from my audiologist. Couldn't find anything online, except one line in Wikipedia that said that residual hearing could be preserved (at least partially) - which is why I was hoping someone else knew something; Wikipedia is great, but there's a lot of mistaken info there. (NB: I'm not bashing WP; I'm a long-time user and contributor. Just how it is.)

Yes, I heard about it. Seems to be a "partial implant" that doesn't go as far as normal implants. This means that it will give you the higher frequencies which is where most hearing losses typically occur. To help explain it..the Cochlea is like structured curled cone with the widest part first (higher pitched sounds) and the deepest part where it is narrowest (lowest sounds). The higher pitched part gets the most energetic "sound waves" in the form of fluid motion not unlike waves crashing on a rocky shore. By the time the fluid motion gets to the lower portions of the cochlea, the force is reduced proportionally. So, that often explains why most people have hearing losses is in the higher ranges. This hybrid implant will preserve the cochlea that handles the lower sounds while stimulate the higher pitches that are problematical for many people. Now, exactly how it perserves residual hearing...I'm not sure.

At least that is my understanding...Boult feel free to correct me ;)

I've been sort of on the borderline for a while where hearing aids are useful, but I can't get much more gain out of them, so I'd sort of been thinking about CIs as a "maybe someday I'll need one" thing.
What about body worn aids or high frequncy transponder aids? You really should experiment with alternative aids before CIs. CIs are great for progressive losses and losses where hearing aids don't help, but you might really want to try a body worn aid. Sometimes they are more powerful then BTEs. It would be like the way that I (with a moderate to severe loss) can hear with ITE aids, but I can hear EVEN BETTER with BTEs!

sr171soars said:
Yes, I heard about it. Seems to be a "partial implant" that doesn't go as far as normal implants. This means that it will give you the higher frequencies which is where most hearing losses typically occur [snip] So, that often explains why most people have hearing losses is in the higher ranges. This hybrid implant will preserve the cochlea that handles the lower sounds while stimulate the higher pitches that are problematical for many people. Now, exactly how it perserves residual hearing...I'm not sure.

Makes perfect sense now - the target audience (according to the brochure) is people who have residual hearing below a given threshold (1500Hz), but need a CI for hearing above that. So if they limit how far the CI goes in, there's no need to damage the hairs that are even further in the cochlea.

NOTE: THIS IS DEAFDYKE. QUOTE WON'T CITE HER FOR SOME REASON
What about body worn aids or high frequncy transponder aids? You really should experiment with alternative aids before CIs.
This is still speculative - odds are, my hearing will return to normal (post-mastoidectomy, it takes 2-4 weeks for the ear to stop draining blood and fluid, and you have to do one ear at a time; I'll do the left ear in August). I certainly will look into those as well, if I am considering a CI more seriously; however, I doubt they'd help. The limit I've reached is as much in the ability of my molds to prevent feedback (which an HF- or body-worn- aid can only do so much about) as the actual electronics of the aid. The body-worn doesn't really work with my lifestyle, either. Regardless, I was more interested in the "hybrid CI" discussed by the brochure. If I want opinions on whether I should get a CI, well, let's just say this might not be the first board I'd ask. :-o :rifle:

My wife had to switch from analog to digital hearing aids last year because of residual hearing loss.

She warned me that she's going all the way if digital hearing aids couldn't give her the same benefit she expects from hearing aids.

I don't blame her... if you want to talk with my wife over phone or whatever, PM me.

That's interesting because it blurs the lines between HA and CI users. It could possibly increase further the acceptance of CIs in the deaf community.

I contacted Cochlear Corp for more info on CIs (I figure it can't be any more biased than some of the stuff here, and quite likely more objective :naughty: ) and interestingly enough, the implanted volunteer who replied to my email said she had gotten a hybrid first, in 2002 (I hadn't mentioned the hybrid in my inquiry). So I guess it's been around for a while.

Doesn't surprise me any. I would think they really, really want to make sure this thing works before letting Joe Q. Public try it out.

The limit I've reached is as much in the ability of my molds to prevent feedback (which an HF- or body-worn- aid can only do so much about)
I thought that body worn aids helped with feedback? Like they were powerful enough to give a lot of power without feedback.....could be wrong thou. Keep an open mind, and experiment!

deafdyke said:
I thought that body worn aids helped with feedback? Like they were powerful enough to give a lot of power without feedback.....could be wrong thou. Keep an open mind, and experiment!

That's correct. By moving the microphone away from the output (the ear mold), feedback becomes less of an issue. But there's only so far you can move the microphone from the ear, and even then, "leakage" becomes an issue. Example: with my BTEs as they are now, my roommate can tell what kind of music I'm listening to with my DAI cable if he pays attention.

There's other reasons I'd be reluctant to consider a body worn aid, but, as you said, experimentation is always a good idea.

Example: with my BTEs as they are now, my roommate can tell what kind of music I'm listening to with my DAI cable if he pays attention.
hahahahahahhahahahahaha....happens with me too!
There's other reasons I'd be reluctant to consider a body worn aid, but, as you said, experimentation is always a good idea.
Why? b/c of the aesteic factors? Can undy that, but today's body worn aids are less bulky and ugly....I know they still sell body worns in Europe.
Like they are about the size of a pocket, rather then the size of a paperback book. It might work, especially since it sounds like you might only need more power in your aids to hear those frequncies.

deafdyke said:
Why? b/c of the aesteic factors? Can undy that, but today's body worn aids are less bulky and ugly....I know they still sell body worns in Europe.

Like they are about the size of a pocket, rather then the size of a paperback book. It might work, especially since it sounds like you might only need more power in your aids to hear those frequncies.

Aesthetics? Psh, nah. I use an electric wheelchair, I wear ankle braces, my BTEs show very clearly over my low ears and my buzz cut - I don't think I'm worried about aesthetics at this point. ;-) (Actually, that sounds kinda bad - but what I mean is that I'm not the type to hide my disability.)

It's more that then it becomes something to deal with. Rather than just sitting on my ear like my BTEs do now, it's something that I have to think about - do I have a harness for it, or am I wearing pants with big enough pockets today (pockets give me trouble because of my hand problems), etc., etc. I find it a hassle just dealing with my iPod (or I did, until I realized I could leave it in my backpack, hooked up to my FM system, heh heh heh). A body worn aid, I think, would change it from just another accessory like my BTE, glasses, ankle braces, etc., to something that I have to make more of a conscious effort to wear.

Plus, my roommate hates my taste in music. :rofl:

I use an electric wheelchair, I wear ankle braces, my BTEs show very clearly over my low ears and my buzz cut - I don't think I'm worried about aesthetics at this point. ;-) (Actually, that sounds kinda bad - but what I mean is that I'm not the type to hide my disability.)
Do you have those cool colored AFOs? :cool:
It's more that then it becomes something to deal with. Rather than just sitting on my ear like my BTEs do now, it's something that I have to think about - do I have a harness for it, or am I wearing pants with big enough pockets today (pockets give me trouble because of my hand problems), etc., etc. I find it a hassle just dealing with my iPod (or I did, until I realized I could leave it in my backpack, hooked up to my FM system, heh heh heh). A body worn aid, I think, would change it from just another accessory like my BTE, glasses, ankle braces, etc., to something that I have to make more of a conscious effort to wear.
Oh good point!!!! Didn't know you had multiple issues..... that might turn the tide in your favor....they are implanting folks with multiple handicaps now....

Back