CI and Digital HA

:) I see what y'all are saying.

I used to wonder about this kind of thing too. Why some mildly HOH people seemed totally deaf, while other profound "deafer" people did better with HA's.. everyone is different. It also depends, like Audiofuzzy pointed out, which frequencies an individual is missing in their particular hearing loss.

I used to wonder about my hubby and also one of his friends. Both are very mildly HOH in one ear and yet I practically have to scream at them sometimes to make myself understood. Sometime's my hubby's friend does not even hear me when I stand directly behind him and say very loudly "Good Morning!" Yet the weird thing is, both of them have no trouble at all using the telephone for long, complicated conversations. The same goes for my dad, who is getting to be pretty severely HOH. He can hardly understand what anyone says to him in person, but on the phone, no problem. I mentioned this once to my MIL, asking her if maybe it was easier for some people to hear on the phone than in just a regular environment-after all, when you have the phone pressed to your ear, you are only getting the voice of the other person directly into your ear. My MIL said yes, that is exactly how it is for a lot of people. Finally I understood it! :scatter:

Anyone who is residual deaf? That can't hear over 100 dbs.

Fuzzy good explaintion, but then how come there's SN losses that respond well to amplification?

I had mainly SN losses in mind.

There might be a lot of factors involved, in my case continual expose to speech since birth - I had to make sense out of what I heard so I did my best.
And when my hearing went gone well down it's a brain's memory that keeps serving me to this very day.

Then the sounds I still hear need to be bring up to certain level for me to hear them- thus amplified. I still have some "strings" left but they must be amplified.

As I've said being SN loss I am incapable of hearing soundless and "quiet" consonants, but with amplification of what remains my brain automatically fills the gaps for me.
Like, I remember what "fishing" sounds so even if I get ".i.shin.." plus lipreading I'll get it. I may also get it on the phone, too.

It's not perfect, though. There are things I need to have written down.

It's probably like that for most of us.

Fuzzy

Hey volcomskatz,

we can continue in this thread of yours so SM's thread can be locked.. hmm?

Back