caught between two worlds

Since I'm hard-of-hearing, I grew up mainstream and in the hearing world. Because of that, I was able to be educated like every other hearing person. However, since I'm still deaf... I am often left out by other hearing people. What about deaf people? Well, they look at me as a hearing-fakie and ignore me. So, I'm stuck with hearing people who don't involve me cuz I'm deaf and deaf people who don't involve me cuz I'm 'hearing'.
Your post is EXACTLY why I am so hardcore about hoh and oral deaf kids getting early on exposure to ASL and Deaf culture..... the professional mentality is that hoh kids don't really need deaf schools or deaf culture or Sign.....Grrrrr....I would totally love to do some Ph.D work in that area!!! Make Carol Flexer/Judith Simsor/Moog/other experts on hoh kids scream and burn my writings!
I know what you mean....I hate hate hate those deafer then thou types....I just wish they understood that just b/c I can hear and talk, it doesn't make me hearing by a LONG LONG shot! That's why me, Bree and Naj are so hardcore about seeing that CI kids get access to Deaf-World stuff! We have experianced it....this experiance is nothing new! Me, you and many many other hoh (wheather audilogically or with amplification) kids have gone through this for decades now! Still.....I bet you'll be psyched to hear that nowadays even some UNILATERALLY deaf kids are getting access to Sign early on....:) (I personally know of at least FIVE....and if my writings and rantings get published, maybe sign will be the cool thing for hoh kids! :)

Back