Cant Lipread/Speechread this person

julysrain

Reaction score
I can't lip/speechread President Bush. I watch him talk and can't figure out what he's saying. Thank goodness for captions! Anyone else have that happen too? Maybe it's cuz of his accent, I dont know!

Actually, it might have something to do with him being a terrible speaker. He is constantly stuttering, fumbling with words, mispronouncing words.

Speechreading becomes a LOT harder with accents! I can lipread some, if my tv is muted or someone is talking to me from far away or whatever, but you ask me to lipread a British speaker and I'm SOOO lost. The same goes for southern speakers or Northeast speakers, although that's not as bad as British speakers, (I'm from the southwest, so maybe southerns/ new yorkers have trouble lipreading ppl from here, idk).
And also, as well as know, facial hair, speed, and annunciation, play a huge part. I think ur biggest problem, julyrain, may be that George Bush doesn't annunciate well, he mumbles at times.

Actually I thought former President Carter was much worst that President Bush! Carter just wouldn't move his lips at all like some true southerners who had that typical southern accent. It frustrated me to no end in those days. I could hear well enough with a HA then and I used lip-reading to compliment my hearing.

Back