can you help?

cordelia

Reaction score
I am not deaf--I hope it's still okay for me to post here. I am actually working on a paper about deaf children and language acquisition and identity, and I have many questions. I would love any help that anyone can offer (and would also like to be able to quote your answers, if that's okay. If not, please let me know!). Basically, I've started doing reading, spoken with a few people, and visited a school for the deaf, and am both so interested and overwhelmed by the many strong feelings people have about how best to teach language to / communicate as a deaf child. Would anyone be willing to offer some insights? How do you feel about ASL versus "straight" oralism? A combination? Signed English? I know these are huge questions, but I'm not sure where to start!

How do you feel about ASL versus "straight" oralism? A combination? Signed English?
Depends on what you mean by "straight" oralism. I do NOT approve of oralism where the end goal is to have the kid function like a "hearing" kid. I do not approve of the special needs mentality that so many pro-oralists have towards Sign. That said, speech skills ARE wicked important. Kids should have the option of being able to commuicate in speech. There is value in being a part of the hearing world. However, the majority of dhh kids (with the possible exception of posties) will never ever be 100% a part of the hearing world.
The debate right now is really over which language should be a dhh kid's first language. There are no easy answers, but I think that deaf kids should initally be in an early intervention language program that teaches them BOTH speech and sign, so they can choose how they want to commuicate.
I think that hard of hearing kids should get exposure to the Deaf world, since we're so often pushed towards the hearing world.

I agree!

I totally agree with you deafdyke.
Deaf childeren should use sign language, and I don't believe in oralism either.
The parents should help they're kids learn too, and choose how they commuincate.
Margie

Deaf childeren should use sign language, and I don't believe in oralism either.
Yeah, but should deaf kids have speech training? I definitaly support speech training, since it's an important surivial skill. I just wish we could get rid of the attitude that if a person signs they won't want to use their voice.
WTF? Some people are just so damn audist!

Depends on the hearing impaired and deaf person. I support both sign language and oralism as I believe that it's help a person in everyday to day life consequences but in education, a child should get every support required as it will help with their language especially English.

You got to be able to speak in someway otherwise ur a dumbass when you walk into a business or service asking for help not knowing what to say and prefers to sign. Not everyone knows how to sign. Simple and pure. Your in trouble. Unless u have a habit of writing things down on a piece of paper which I know most people hates.

I was brought up oral, signed English (not Auslan, it's complusory in Australian Education) and I'm glad my parents gave the choice of becoming a bilinguist. It comes in handy.

Ta
Angel_Realm

I think it usually starts with the parents... they are the ones who decide how their deaf kids get educated. People will always have their preferences and beliefs of how things work. Often, people do have strong feelings about the quality of education being defined by communication. :) Good luck, cordelia, and thank you for keeping an open mind.

Quote: I just wish we could get rid of the attitude that if a person signs they won't want to use their voice.

I've been wondering about that a lot! It seems like a lot that I've seen or read (not nearly enough yet) has suggested that if a child is taught sign then using their voice won't be a possibility. From what I know of learning a second spoken language, I definitely don't agree with this theory that in order to gain a new language you have to avoid the first language, but I know much less about it when it comes to sign language and voice. I'm so glad you mentioned that. And thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. Does there seem to be a general consensus (so far, anyway) that OPTIONS are important--both sign and oralism being encouraged from the start? (Actually, I think one person didn't believe oralism should be taught?)

cordelia said:
I am not deaf--I hope it's still okay for me to post here. I am actually working on a paper about deaf children and language acquisition and identity, and I have many questions. I would love any help that anyone can offer (and would also like to be able to quote your answers, if that's okay. If not, please let me know!). Basically, I've started doing reading, spoken with a few people, and visited a school for the deaf, and am both so interested and overwhelmed by the many strong feelings people have about how best to teach language to / communicate as a deaf child. Would anyone be willing to offer some insights? How do you feel about ASL versus "straight" oralism? A combination? Signed English? I know these are huge questions, but I'm not sure where to start!

I already wrote about my experience. you may want to read my perspective.

Good luck with your term paper. It must be very interest and challenge for you.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=298974&postcount=51

I think it usually starts with the parents... they are the ones who decide how their deaf kids get educated. People will always have their preferences and beliefs of how things work. Often, people do have strong feelings about the quality of education being defined by communication.
Agreed, but some parents...*shakes head* I mean they like totally REFUSE to believe the possibilty that the oral route isn't perfect. I am not bashing oralism....I'm simply giving my view on a real life experiance with oralism! It is BEYOND frustrating!

Back