Call for 'designer' hearing aids

Deaf_Jen

Reaction score
The UK's largest charity for deaf people and a design magazine are launching an exhibition of futuristic hearing aids to make them more popular.

The show, called Hearwear, opens at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London this week.

A variety of designs will be on display, ranging from stylish devices to enhance hearing to products that can be used by anyone to control sound.

The idea is to persuade people that hearwear can be as appealing as specs.

The show is a collaboration between the Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID), design magazine, Blueprint, and creative agency Wolff Olins.

The ideas on display include a remote control to block out irritating sounds, a device to enable people to have a clear conversation in a noisy bar, and hearing aids designed as fashionable jewellery or must-have gadgets.

Another concept, known as the Goldfish, instantly replays the previous 10 seconds of sound to the wearer in case they have failed to catch someone's name.

It is based on the idea that goldfish only have 10 seconds of memory.

Missing millions

The RNID believes that the number of people who have some hearing loss will rise from the current one in seven of the population as noise pollution increases and people live longer.

Some of the new ideas from the Hearwear exhibition, of which Henrietta Thompson is co-curator.

In pictures
"This is likely to become one of the biggest health and social issues of our time," said RNID chief executive John Low.

"Millions of people who could benefit from wearing a hearing aid or hearing protection are reluctant to do so."

The charity is calling for a revolution in people's thinking about hearing products and says that there is insufficient investment in the customer appeal of hearing aids.

"There has been an incredible revolution is the design of glasses, why not in hearing aids," wonders Dr Low.

Although the European market for hearing aids is worth £2.9bn, the concern is that millions of people who could benefit from them are reluctant to do so.

Design journalist and Blueprint deputy editor, Henrietta Thompson, has a hearing impairment and refused to wear hearing aids until she was 14.

"Too many people prefer to struggle to hear rather than wearing one," she said.

"It's ridiculous, today, when we're surrounded by good design in all areas of our lives, that hearing aids have been forgotten in this way."

"With Hearwear we asked the designers how we might break out of this pattern and create stylish and useful products that people might actually want to wear, whether they are deaf or not."

Hearwear is at the Victoria & Albert Museum from 26 July to 5 March 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4706923.stm

This is very interesting, and on a good note it should bring out more HA users in public which in turn hopefully will desensitize public to HA wearers - because from my experience they still stare at HA..

A little downside- they seem to make sort of convenient- conversation-from close-up pieces for normal hearing people? what about us with severe loss?

Fuzzy

I still prefer the old fasioned hearing aid. No one can see behind my ears. It's hidden. I have no need to show off my ears. ;)

when i got my hearing aids... i wanted electric blue ones like i had seen in a private clinic... but i got the standard beige coloured ones

people can see i wear aids because of the moulds... so weather they see the eharing aid or not doesnt bother me... pluss i have to wear my loop arround uni....so people can tell ;) hehe

thats only a small selection i thionk of the aids and hearing accessories they hope to produce, more than likely they will be expensive and not readily availible till some times next centuatry

hopefully they will come up with smarter eharing aids for those of us who hear everything on the same level.... and quiet... sorta monotone hearing

some way of distingushing one sound from another... they tried to witht he new gen of digital hearing aids... but as they just make things louder (when they work) for people like me.... they are relitivly usless... pluss with people also like me who have a progressive deafness... they require constant tuning... urgh there a pain

see my other topic in this section for my rant i wont start here

see personaly i would like people to notice that i have a hearing problem... instead of giving me 'that look' when i ask them to speak louder as i cant hear them

see personaly i would like people to notice that i have a hearing problem...
Yeah, me too.....I LIKE people noticing that I'm hoh. It's a lot better then them thinking that I'm retarded or slow....having an aid be obvious is a good obvious signal to hearing people, that I am hoh! Besides, the colored ones are COOL looking.....the beige ones are UGLY to put it mildly....if you used a wheelchair, would you pick out one of those ugly metal ones, or if you used crutches or whatever would you pick out the ugly ones or the cool colored ones? I mean I've noticed that even older people have cool colored walkers, and wheelchairs! Why not have some fun with the aids?

what would be neat is perhaps if they had some sort of arm band to wear... so people could notice it (like a blind man has a white stick... or a blind person w/hearing probs has a white stick with red stripes) and perhaps know to talk a little louder.....

i dont know...

i remember when i first got my hearing aids... i remember my mother saying to me 'do you realy want hearing aids... people will think theres something wrong with you'... i almost died laughing

I saw someone once who had a cane (to help her walk) that was filled with dry or silk flowers. It was beautiful!

Designer hearing aids sound cool but I'm still nervous about people seeing that I'm wearing one. That's why I'm planning to get an in the canal one - I thought I'd asked for a CIC but I talked to the office today and somehow that turned into a mini canal aid.

just out of interest... why are you bothered weather or not someone see's it?

so do deaf people fall into two groups thereforue.... ones who dont give a damn and prefer people to notice they wear hearing aids etc.... or those who dont want people to notice their hearing aids?

Well I think that the bothered type can be further split into three groups. The first one is the biggest, and consists of late deafened folks who associate hearing loss with getting old, and who don't wanna look old.
The second type are newbie people who really have bought into all the rhetoric that hearing aids are noticable.....I totally totally know what a lot of the HA newbies on the list are going through. In jr high I actually got ITE aids for cosmetic reasons (and that does seem to be very common among dhh teens)
I used to be incredibily self conscious about my aids...now I have short "butch" hair and colored aids, and nobody even really notices them!
Hearing aids are not THAT obvious or noticable! Come on, it's not like BTEs are body worn aids or ear horns!
the third type, are folks who still haven't quite come to terms with their loss and who were born with the loss or were early deafened.
It's a lot better emoitionally to accept your disabilty.... I know, I know...it marks you as "different" .....but I mean different isn't bad....it's just different....maybe if hearing aids were more common in the general population....and were actually seen on TV and stuff, it would be a lot easier to come to terms with hearing aid acceptance.

see i soooo wanted coloured hearing aids but you cant get them free of the government

see before people notice im wearing hearing aids they see the moulds in each ear.... then the tube...... then something beige sticking out under my hair/hat

i think people are scared of disibilities because it makrs them in old fasioned terms as disabled... some people are scared of society not being able to accept them because there diffrent... or because they have a problem.... i dont know ear horns would be pretty diffrent... it puts bling bling into a whole new meaning maybe ;)

deafdyke said:
Well I think that the bothered type can be further split into three groups. The first one is the biggest, and consists of late deafened folks who associate hearing loss with getting old, and who don't wanna look old.
The second type are newbie people who really have bought into all the rhetoric that hearing aids are noticable.....I totally totally know what a lot of the HA newbies on the list are going through. In jr high I actually got ITE aids for cosmetic reasons (and that does seem to be very common among dhh teens.

Ya know i think a lot of it is this. my audiologists office started telling me about how i should go with the more expensive itc/cic aids cuz its "cosmetic" and not as noticeable. and the cic/itc just happen to cost a TON more. i wonder if its got a lot to do with pressure that way.

my audiologists office started telling me about how i should go with the more expensive itc/cic aids cuz its "cosmetic" and not as noticeable. and the cic/itc just happen to cost a TON more. i wonder if its got a lot to do with pressure that way.
Probaly.....the baby aids tend to be more expensive, and wear out faster and need more repairs....and I mean audis sell to a limited base, so the more repeat customers, the better!

Back