California School for the Deaf - Crappy Education?

Brian said:
I don't see any reason to keep deaf schools open if education haven't improved much over the years. Deaf children are better off being schooled closer to their parents/guardians!

Some deaf schools are closer to home, and some Mainstream schools are not closer to home like an hour drive or so. I don't know what you meant by better off being schooled closer to their parents/guardians unless you talking about homeschooling? :mrgreen:

Banjo said:
Now, enough about this person. Please don't mention her again since she isn't a member here.

I only gave you the link and message, that´s all.

Okay, I respect you and will not say anything more.

I don't see any reason to keep deaf schools open if education haven't improved much over the years. Deaf children are better off being schooled closer to their parents/guardians!
Ohhhhhh....just thought of something! Banjo....I know you're saying that bi-bi is responsible for poor academic achievements BUT what percentage of students at your school have been there since kindergarten/preschool or received the proper early intervention? Thing is many of the kids at schools for the Deaf fell through the cracks b/c they didn't get the proper early intervention. Like they may have been educated in a general special needs preschool or had EI teachers who knew only a handful of Signs.....
Besides, if bi-bi is such a crappy system then how come there are schools that THRIVE under that approach?
I think deaf schools have a place....They're great for early intervention (and we dhh folks NEED the proper specialized early intervention) and there are always going to be homeless and foster kids(and living at a residental school is FAR better then being shifted to and from families constantly or living at a center!) and kids whose parents don't have the proper parenting skills. I think also that the residental componet has a place...I don't advocate it for little kids, but do for upper Elementary school kids and older kids. I mean....living away from home for me has been such an amazing experiance! If I had not come here, I would never have met some amazing professors and kids...Living in the dorms has made me stronger and more mature and I would not have traded this experiance for anything in the world!

deafdyke said:
Ohhhhhh....just thought of something! Banjo....I know you're saying that bi-bi is responsible for poor academic achievements BUT what percentage of students at your school have been there since kindergarten/preschool or received the proper early intervention? Thing is many of the kids at schools for the Deaf fell through the cracks b/c they didn't get the proper early intervention. Like they may have been educated in a general special needs preschool or had EI teachers who knew only a handful of Signs.....

At my school? I'll say the majority of the students had been enrolled at the school since kindergarten/pre-school. Most of the students who did better came from different public schools and enrolled at my school later in their lives. No, there are MANY teachers at my school who happen to be deaf, and they were present to educate these students that I had been with later in my life... and yes... the teachers can sign.

Besides, if bi-bi is such a crappy system then how come there are schools that THRIVE under that approach?

Why didn't you name any? Maybe because you can't think of one?

there are always going to be homeless and foster kids(and living at a residental school is FAR better then being shifted to and from families constantly or living at a center!) and kids whose parents don't have the proper parenting skills.

Nobody in my grade was adopted, except for one whose guardian parents were his grandparents. But that doesn't really count since they're family by blood. But there's a lot of parents who shouldn't really be parenting their children in both worlds.

I think also that the residental componet has a place...I don't advocate it for little kids, but do for upper Elementary school kids and older kids. I mean....living away from home for me has been such an amazing experiance!

Too much fun, actually. (hump-hump) Some female residents at my school had multiple abortions. Yes, these girls are stupid enough to tell their friends who are untrustworthy when it come to these juicy details. Then they'll break down in front of the schools and scream, "why did you tell everybody what I told you?". House-parents are often underpaid and unfit to take care of the students.

Often, the residential students would sneak to the basement at nights to play nasty games together. Unfortunately, the school isn't aware of it. Maybe the house-parents are, who knows? The truth won't be known till a big scandal is exposed. This didn't just happen at my school, I know it has happened at other schools in Canada. There are far too many boarding schools that experience problems like this. Yes, a lot of sexual abuse cases had been reported among the deaf boarding schools, and many continue to go unreported.

Liebling:-))) said:
What is mainstreamed school stand?

The mainstream is the most ordinary and conventional group of people or ideas in a society.

A small number of deaf people or few different groups attend hearing school, is called mainstream school. :cool:

Tamara said:
The mainstream is the most ordinary and conventional group of people or ideas in a society.

A small number of deaf people or few different groups attend hearing school, is called mainstream school. :cool:

Thanks to the Oberkotter Foundation, many 'local' schools are developing their own deaf programs so deaf kids can go to their local schools than be bused to regional deaf schools thats run by leadership that has no clue what the future of deaf society is like.

Our 470 page report on the results of the current deaf education system has reduced the credibility of the present leadership of these particular schools.

We need a deaf school system that respects the education contributors and encourages positive interfacing with the hearing society. We've started a model classroom and it's got the attention of a number of public entities.

Richard Roehm

At my school? I'll say the majority of the students had been enrolled at the school since kindergarten/pre-school. Most of the students who did better came from different public schools and enrolled at my school later in their lives. No, there are MANY teachers at my school who happen to be deaf, and they were present to educate these students that I had been with later in my life... and yes... the teachers can sign.
Yes, but Banjo, overall one of the biggest problems that schools for the deaf face is the fact that a lot of their students fell through the cracks b/c they didn't get the proper early intervention.
Also, bi-bi is still relatively new....the students were probaly introduced to it early on, and did not get a chance to get a real early intervention foundation in the system. How is the early intervention program in your country?
Why didn't you name any? Maybe because you can't think of one?
Nope.....what about TLC? I mean this debate is exactly like the ESL (English As a Second Language) debate that has been going on for ages. There are people who support ESL (limited English) classes and then people who argue that immersion into the language is the only way.
But there's a lot of parents who shouldn't really be parenting their children in both worlds.
Agreed....that's why I think that a res school can be a good thing. Not everyone comes from an involved middle class family.
This didn't just happen at my school, I know it has happened at other schools in Canada. There are far too many boarding schools that experience problems like this.
True...but it's not just a "deaf" school thing. It is a boarding school thing, and probaly has been going on for like a thousand years! I mean....I think that the sexual culture should be strongly discouraged. Not to the point where they have a Purtain/sex is evil ethos but more a health attitude towards relationships and sexuality! Sex scandels happen in mainstream schools too! Fucked up sexuality is witnessed almost everywhere! Nobody has a corner on it! I think it's a problem, and DOES need to be addressed, but I also think that deaf schools don't have a corner on stuff like that!

javapride said:
banjo i understand and respect your stand on this issue and i thank you for sharing ur opioion im a CSDF 1991 graduate here and yes some are being pacified and some are just being totally ingored some of us were lucky to even have better english skils but think abt this ok ?? CSDF and CSDR are NOT the only ones with bad education it also happens in hearing schools who are teaching thier kids in phonics mode as well, its NOT just the understanding of how to deal with kids who are being neglected and or just used in the english as a 2nd langague, lemme tell u this Honolulu School for the Deaf also has a Crappy education too, none for the worse my partner's family didn't think she had something better going for her life cuz of this... so please do us a favor and do not single out the two deaf Schools and think of the broad spectrum of the schools not just those two... and i really REALLY do not want to debate this anyfuther just use the respect factor and use ALL schools and NOT just California School for the Deaf ok? thanks :)
Javapride, EXCELLENT POST!! I do agreed your sayings with damn points!

Meg said:
I need to defend some teachers. Some of my friends were teachers at CSD schools and walked away, disturbed at what was going on there. It is not the teachers, but SYSTEM.

Granted it is not perfect but it takes a system to change system, not blame it on teachers but adminstrationers, state government, board, etc.

I did somehow met many CSD alumni and they turned out brillantly but yes the system is flawed.
Meg, BEAUTIFUL POST... You are right that, should not blame on teachers.. just blame on educational systems itself on Deaf school by goverment's own SYSTEM across USA... because State and federal pay deaf schools billion dollars across U.S. Your parents did not pay for deaf school as sport's uniforms, equpiments, supply, etc.. .. all deaf schools included CSD owned by Goverments system for rest.... That why their system required in all deaf schools across U.S.

I must admit you that My english is not very well as expert or skill. But I try my best I could... :D I aint blamed CSD's education system.. I just blamed on my parents who did not take responsible to support and teach me to learn how to read or write if they wanted me being educational person.. They never wanted.. My parents expect me as moron like them, hell no!! I actually thanks myself and thanked treachers and students who helped and feedback with me about educations , read, write, etc with my whole honestly hearts...

Last edited:
My opinion is that all deaf schools need to be more focused on english. It is more about the teaching of deaf culture. Meaning the teaching of ASL. I mean ASL is good, but in a way, I'd say when the kid is young, use SEE with them so they can learn english, and as they get older, teach them ASL. It just seems it is coming to that point now. The schools for the deaf in general need to change the way they teach their students.

I disagree with SEE.

ASL all way and teach them how to write and read in English and German.

From what I believe, students who graduate from deaf schools often end up having to take extra courses and more to improve and then they'll become more successful and obtain better jobs. But some people are just lucky to become successful despite the poor education at the schools.
Well that's the same with inner city schools. Many of those kids have to take remedial classes.
Poor academic performance isn't exclusive to Deaf schools. And besides, Deaf students are better served in an enviorment where they can get appropreaite early intervention and the tools to suceed, without having to kick and scream. It is almost impossible to get good accomondations in the mainstream...you practically have to be a disabilty rights lawyer to get good accomondations.

Most deaf school has crappy education, of course. Its because of special education though.

I arttended CSDR for 3 years so I disliked it because of dorm rule, education and food. I quitted in June 2004 then moved to LA school named El Camino Real High School so its great hearing school for me. I'm happy that don't attend deaf school anymore.

Dorm at deaf school isn't freedom as alike at home.

California deaf schools have become political juggernauts for ASL warmongers paving the way back to the dark ages where deaf people have to be at the mercy of the 'Big Deaf Industry Complex' that seeks to cash in on the special needs of the deaf society.

Richard

Cheri said:
Some deaf schools are closer to home, and some Mainstream schools are not closer to home like an hour drive or so. I don't know what you meant by better off being schooled closer to their parents/guardians unless you talking about homeschooling? :mrgreen:
Cheri - I apologize for overlooking your post. What I meant is that I believe all of the deaf children are better off being at regular/mainstream schools closer to their homes. Homeschooling is another good way too. I don't think children should live somewhere (such as dorms) far from their homes with strangers watching after them. Many times the school administrators don't bother to check employees' backgrounds like if they have molested children! If they find something disturbing, they'd just try sweeping it under the rugs!

Hmm...I enquired for my mother's opinion on CSDF's educational system as my sister and I attended that school until we both graduated. Mum didn't think much of the system because it didn't really meet both of our needs, but did agree that the social scenery was great for our personal growth. Was placed in several accelerated classes and had a couple extra elective classes that I could go on my own pace without having to wait for the rest of the class to catch up.
I also reckon that the encouragement level in teachers and parents alike isn't that high for encouraging children to read. Not just newspapers or magazines, but of novels, documentaries, et al. I was fortunate to have a mother who encouraged both my sister and myself to read, she also read herself, so I always saw her with her nose in a book every single day at home.

Back